Comicbook Movie Rating List

New_Cliche
New_Cliche

Here is a list of the most to least acclaimed comic book movies. The scores were determined like this:

I combined three scores for each film using three major sites - the wide-sweeping critical countings of Rotten Tomatoes, the more selective critical assessments of Metacritic, and the open to the public IMDb user ratings.

One condition was decided from the get go - RT's T-Meter score is ignored in favour of each film's 'Average Rating' by critics out of 10. Without a mixed option, the T-meter score is generally unreliable as very mixed reviews are often classified as positive - leading to many widely liked but rarely acclaimed films scoring ridiculously high. The site's average rating score from critics however has proven far more stable and consistent over time and is employed instead.

A film like "Watchmen" had a 6.2/10 RT average rating score, a 56/100 Metacritic score, and a 7.7/10 IMDb user rating. The result was worked out like so:

(6.2 x 10) + 56 + (7.7 x 10) = 195 / 3 = 65.00. This meant its final score was 65.00 out of 100.

Seems pretty fair

BVS is up there now at 55.33%

What do you think?

Booteefool
Booteefool

Fuck off to /tv/

Fuzzy_Logic
Fuzzy_Logic

@New_Cliche
Akira
That low

Boy_vs_Girl
Boy_vs_Girl

I'm not aware of Porco Rosso having a comic.

happy_sad
happy_sad

@w8t4u
The Mask
That low

TurtleCat
TurtleCat

@New_Cliche
TDKR
that high

RumChicken
RumChicken

@Boy_vs_Girl

Was it ever a manga? There are a lot of movies on that list that I never knew were comics. It's very thorough. I'll give it that.

Nojokur
Nojokur

@TurtleCat

Only nerds didn't like it, user.

Supergrass
Supergrass

INTO THE TRASH

Methnerd
Methnerd

@New_Cliche
Blue is the Warmest Color

Is it like the comic? It can't be, if it's rated highly.

JunkTop
JunkTop

Reviews are so very missleading as time moves on.

I mean, Princess Bride, John Carpenter's The Thing, and I'm sure dozens of other films were initially panned, but gained a following and long term appeal.

TalkBomber
TalkBomber

@New_Cliche
Is there a way to account for the scoring of the "nostalgia factor" of films released in the pre-internet era before any of these metrics were created? In a very real sense, films like the Tim Burton Batman may move up or down the scale because they are being scored by a viewer in the present with all their baggage of preferences and biases rather than a historical viewer.
Have the review sites made an effort to research a "historical" review score that is independent on changing tastes and reflects how a film was accepted by audiences at its release date?
I ask because I'm a historian and one of my pet peeves is the tumblr trend of interpreting history using modern values and thinking rather than the perspectives of the people living during that era.

Techpill
Techpill

@New_Cliche
Metropolis and Ghost in the Shell at the bottom
beneath shit like TDKR and Scott Pilgrim

pure garbage

Emberburn
Emberburn

@New_Cliche
What do you think?
I think art is subjective and critics should go the Kurt Cobain route

thanks for compiling all the stats though, have a bump while I check them out

Bidwell
Bidwell

@TalkBomber
This is the moment when you realize that all film reviews, whether from a critic or audience, are entirely and completely subjective and relative, and ultimately don't mean shit.

Crazy_Nice
Crazy_Nice

@Bidwell
tastes change over time. What audiences and critics like are moving targets.

w8t4u
w8t4u

@Sharpcharm
Ninja Turtles and Speed Racer that low
Why do we listen to critics again?

Sharpcharm
Sharpcharm

@New_Cliche
There are not all

ZeroReborn
ZeroReborn

@New_Cliche
Ironman 2-3
that high

Cap 1-2
that low

TechHater
TechHater

@w8t4u

Mind you, IMDB ratings are also counted. I loved Speed Racer. It's sad most people just didn't get it.

Disable your ad blocker to access the content

Disable your ad blocker to access the content