What do you think of Miyazaki dubs? They get good actors for them

Fuzzy_Logic
Fuzzy_Logic

What do you think of Miyazaki dubs? They get good actors for them.

BunnyJinx
BunnyJinx

@Fuzzy_Logic
What the fuck was Miyazaki thinking when he chose Anno to voice the MC? Nigga talks in the same tone of voice through the whole movie.

Spamalot
Spamalot

They get actors who are completely unsuitable for it though, as the dubbing process runs counter to pretty much everything they know about acting.

Think about how suppressed and wooden Christian Bale sounds as Howl, yet he's given some colorful performances in his time.

Raving_Cute
Raving_Cute

@Fuzzy_Logic
they fix one of the many things that make dubs shit
Yes, that's good for the children and people with eye diseases. However this site is 18+ and I think you could find a better place to discuss it in the latter case.

Gigastrength
Gigastrength

Valley of the wind dub, not even once

Evil_kitten
Evil_kitten

Yeah, the later entries are fine.

Spirited Away is well done. Howl's Moving Castle is excellent, but a bit of a guilty pleasure. It changes the personalities of characters a little too much, but they're entertaining changes, so I begrudgingly give it a pass.

Always go sub first.

Illusionz
Illusionz

@Spamalot
I really hate this Christian Bale meme. His only "colorful" performance was American Psycho and even then it's unrightfully praised.

Lunatick
Lunatick

@Spamalot
Do you think Bale prefers dubs or subs?

DeathDog
DeathDog

@Lunatick
Bale went to extreme lengths for his roles.
He would outright learn moon to enjoy more.

farquit
farquit

@Lunatick

Prolly dubs, I doubt he appreciates Japanese culture or anime.

Techpill
Techpill

Well, if you are going to watch normalfag anime like Miyazaki's works might as well go all the way and watch it dubbed as well.

Also call the rest of your family to watch this quirky japanimation with you.

RumChicken
RumChicken

@DeathDog

Something about this post just isn't quite convincing me. I can't quite get my finger on it though.

Sharpcharm
Sharpcharm

@BunnyJinx
I switched multiple times between dub and sub in the first half hour.
First I accidentally downloaded the dub, so I watched that. But the child voices were terrible, so I downloaded the sub.
But then I heard Anno's voice and I switched back again.
This happened once or twice more, untill I eventually stuck with the subbed version.

CodeBuns
CodeBuns

@Spamalot
I really, really enjoyed the Howl's Castle dub. Especially Calcifer.

DeathDog
DeathDog

@CodeBuns

Quite a different character from the Japanese, but Billy Crystal absolutely nails it. Love it, too.

Illusionz
Illusionz

@CodeBuns
@DeathDog
agree

Stark_Naked
Stark_Naked

@Fuzzy_Logic
Is Japanese VA-ing as stratified as it is in the west? They really go for some high profile people on both ends of the ocean.

Booteefool
Booteefool

Watched Kiki dubbed so many times I've never even considered watching the original. It's also the first US release with those new opening and ending songs by Sydney Forest and some of the BGM switched around.

idontknow
idontknow

@Lunatick
Christian Bale
Dubs or subs
It's obvious, right? Of course Bateman likes dubs.

5mileys
5mileys

Why would you watch any foreign film dubbed?

Nude_Bikergirl
Nude_Bikergirl

@5mileys
To understand what the characters are saying without staring at the bottom of the screen.

StonedTime
StonedTime

I saw The Wind Rises dubbed because I wanted to see it on the big screen. The voice acting was fucking terrible and wish I would have just waited for the BD rips.

@Nude_Bikergirl
So you're illiterate. Gotcha.

Spazyfool
Spazyfool

@Illusionz
Thing is, his "colourful" performance in American Psycho is actually the complete lack of a colourful performance. The only roles he can pull off are ones where he's a sociopath simply because of how devoid of actual emotion he always sounds.

Disable your ad blocker to access the content

Disable your ad blocker to access the content