I know Hyouka has gotten a lot of praise - but after watching it again 3 years,...

GoogleCat
GoogleCat

I know Hyouka has gotten a lot of praise - but after watching it again 3 years, "now that the dust has settled", I must concede -

Hyouka is criminally underrated and is probably the best anime KyoAni has ever produced - story wise and technically. And that said, the Kanya Festival arc is top 10 in greatest arcs/sub-stories in *all* anime of all time. Far from the Hyouka zzzzz its clear to me now, that Hyouka was simply overshadowed by the KyoAni's previous sakuga work, Nichijou - and the audience, most likely newfags, were expected the "fast paced boke" of Nichijoi in Hyouka. If you thought Hyouka was boring while it was airing, watch it again. Even if you don't want to watch the whole thing - Hyouka episodes 12-17 most likely stand on their own.

In this coming of age arc the "supporting" characters are introduced to the age old Japanese shounen theme of "hard work vs. genius". However its not beat into us over the head, its nuanced over 5 episodes of the most lively and energetic school setting in anime, bar none. Kyoto "Unlimited Waifu Works" Animation augmented Hyouka's story with an incredibly detailed background cast - with detail that would be reserved for the main characters in any other work.

The amount of work done by KyoAni gives Hyouka a breath of life and really works to make the story of the light novel shine.

All urls found in this thread:
http://www.youdubber.com/index.php?video=BVgiC-2hohE&video_start=0&audio=djV11Xbc914&audio_start=2
http://www.youdubber.com/index.php?video=3iQhH-qjIUE&video_start=0&audio=QGr8Y0YTJzY&audio_start=0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIgwAmEHbZA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NRk2QjTm5g
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fam
Sir_Gallonhead
Sir_Gallonhead

I like the show too.

Methnerd
Methnerd

It's all right

happy_sad
happy_sad

I generally love SoL but even Hyouka was too slow for me at times.
It was okay though. I liked Chuu2 more.

ZeroReborn
ZeroReborn

Hyouka is underrated
Tamako Market is criminally underrated

farquit
farquit

@ZeroReborn
Tamako Market is criminally underrated
My nigga.

lostmypassword
lostmypassword

@GoogleCat

Pretty sure it's based on an actual novel series and not a light novel series, giving it a much more solid base to work from than most light novel adaptations.

kizzmybutt
kizzmybutt

I think it is a show where different opinions are perfectly respectable. I really enjoy slow SOL stuff with nice characters and that's exactly what Hyouka gave me, along with absolutely amazing visual quality.

Techpill
Techpill

@ZeroReborn
Only the movie is good, but it's really good.

FastChef
FastChef

@farquit
さささささささささ・・・

Nude_Bikergirl
Nude_Bikergirl

it started off a bit slowly with the whole chronicle arc, but i've never seen a school festival arc better than hyouka's.

Need_TLC
Need_TLC

@lostmypassword

Yes, Eupho was the same. There need to be more novel adaptions.

VisualMaster
VisualMaster

so many hyouka and hibike shills on this board, I might have to actually give those shows a try

5mileys
5mileys

@VisualMaster
Hibike! became shit past mid-way and I dropped it.
Hyouka was a steady enjoyment for me.

But you go wherever your heart seeks

PurpleCharger
PurpleCharger

@5mileys
Pretty much my experience as well.

Inmate
Inmate

http://www.youdubber.com/index.php?video=BVgiC-2hohE&video_start=0&audio=djV11Xbc914&audio_start=2

http://www.youdubber.com/index.php?video=3iQhH-qjIUE&video_start=0&audio=QGr8Y0YTJzY&audio_start=0

(remember to refresh)

Emberburn
Emberburn

@Techpill
The series is pretty decent. Better than KnK and Amagi at least.

StonedTime
StonedTime

@PurpleCharger
@5mileys
I've already forgotten most of Hibike but Hyouka has stuck with me to the point where I can remember most of it.

ZeroReborn
ZeroReborn

@5mileys
dropping a kyoani show

Fried_Sushi
Fried_Sushi

@ZeroReborn
I dropped KnK 15 minutes in, it was unbearable

Sir_Gallonhead
Sir_Gallonhead

@ZeroReborn
Hibike was the first Kyoani show I ever dropped.
Never tried to watch KnK though.

WebTool
WebTool

@ZeroReborn
Several of them just aren't very good.

I originally dropped KnK and Hyouka, but went back to them afterwards and really enjoyed them. I don't think I missed anything with Hibike, Tamako Market, Chuu2 S2, K On or a couple of others though

JunkTop
JunkTop

@5mileys
@PurpleCharger
@StonedTime
Interesting to see these opinions, seems like the only exposure I have to Kyoani discussion on this board is in studio wars threads. KyoAni fans there act like Hibike and Hyouka are works of the highest cinematography and depth. I've seen LS, Nichijou, and parts of haruhi (dropped it years ago but picked it back up recently) and I couldn't say any of those shows blew me away (LS improved on the source material though, I really don't like that manga). I'll give Hyouka a try sometime soon.

SniperWish
SniperWish

@JunkTop
KyoAni shows in general look amazing, but that doesn't mean they're always good. Hyouka looks so good I forgot to read the subtitles half the time.

CouchChiller
CouchChiller

It's Probably my favorite KyoAni work.
and one in my all time top ten.
The Kanya Festival arc, hit me like a truck of bricks, Goddamn.

takes2long
takes2long

@JunkTop
Haruhi S1, and the movie are up there. Disappearance is great movie, although it requires background knowledge on the haruhi universe - it is incredibly well done.

Nichijou stands out if not for its amazing animation. During the time Nichijou and Hyouka were made, KyoAni seemed to have unlimited budget (I'm guessing from the successes of K-On!, K-On!! and the Movie).

KyoAni shows in general are amazing, but I've always felt that Nichijou and Hyouka had near movie level quality in terms of technical achievement.

Hibike, while incredibly well directed, hides a lot behind optical vignetting, nearly to the point where you might think they just applied an instagram filter over the whole thing. While really well done, I don't think they did anything in Hibike that was much better than what they had done in Chuu2 or KnK.

Illusionz
Illusionz

@GoogleCat
Hyouka was pretty but Nichijou was more animated.
Still better than the shit called Hibike, the worst KyoAni I watched

Inmate
Inmate

Still loving how the prime-time for Hyouka threads is when american shitposters go to sleep.

lostmypassword
lostmypassword

Good: Haruhi, Hibike, Hyouka
Shit: Nichijou, Free, Tamako Market

Evil_kitten
Evil_kitten

@lostmypassword
lesbians are okay but homos are not

/u/

Stark_Naked
Stark_Naked

@Evil_kitten
There isn't a single lesbian in Hibike, Hyouka and Haruhi.

Emberfire
Emberfire

All these faggots trying to sneak tamako garbage into the underrated train

StrangeWizard
StrangeWizard

@Stark_Naked
100% straight

whereismyname
whereismyname

@Emberfire
It was better than Hibike.

iluvmen
iluvmen

Amagi was their best show since Hyouka

lostmypassword
lostmypassword

@GoogleCat
kyoani
ever doing anything that isn't shit

Pick one, keion ruined anime

GoogleCat
GoogleCat

@iluvmen
Agreed.
Amagi > Tamako > Chuu2 > Hibike.

girlDog
girlDog

@lostmypassword
K-ON! ruined anime by making it apparent how inferior all other anime is in contrast.

w8t4u
w8t4u

Hyouka's quality is kind of like the compensation KyoAni gave us for ruining anime with K On

Inmate
Inmate

@Illusionz
@5mileys
@StonedTime
@Sir_Gallonhead
@PurpleCharger
@whereismyname
@GoogleCat

I honestly don't get why people didn't like Hibike, and given the discussions I see here, it seems no one will explain why.

It was a realistic character driven drama. And it was really well done for what it was.

@iluvmen
@GoogleCat

Amagi was the only KyoAni show I ever felt disappointed in, besides Chuu2Koi which I dropped halfway through episode 1.

VisualMaster
VisualMaster

@Inmate
I didn't like the characters or the drama so it was hard to give a shit about anything that was happening

CodeBuns
CodeBuns

The only problem to the Anime was how short it was, when I saw the last episode I wanted more because the conclusion was very shady

BunnyJinx
BunnyJinx

@Inmate
I didn't like any of the characters.
I enjoyed Chuu2 Ren more than Hibike.

Emberburn
Emberburn

@Inmate
@BunnyJinx

I meant I dropped Chuu2Ren, the first season was great.

Stark_Naked
Stark_Naked

@Inmate
KyoAni improves their visuals with every show they make but Hibikek's filters triggers me. Yamada does most of the storyboards, it was like an inferior K-on with added conflict to make "drama."

Carnalpleasure
Carnalpleasure

@Inmate
Do you like comedy? The stories of those shows are dog shit, proven by the fact they were LNs. But the shows had some funny bits IMO, especially the Amaburi specials.

idontknow
idontknow

@Stark_Naked

Everyone thought Hibike was going to be K-On! Brass Band Edition when the first artwork and trailer came out but otherwise these shows were incredibly dissimilar.

@Carnalpleasure

Yeah, and almost everything about Amaburi should have worked on paper and there were many individual funny moments, but the whole thing just didn't feel glued together properly.

Soft_member
Soft_member

@Stark_Naked
They've been going downhill in visual quality it seems to me, and resort to filters to disguise the fact they're relying more and more on CGI for scenery. The greatest thing about Hyouka is how there weren't those rigid claymation looking background characters and CGI classrooms they started using immediately after it.

Gigastrength
Gigastrength

@Inmate

Characters too real (sorta?). Somewhat unsatisfactory ending.

Amagi started off really dull for me, only reason I stuck with it was because I really liked FMP. It grew on me quite fast and I don't really watch a lot of similar shows.

Booteefool
Booteefool

@Stark_Naked
I liked K-On because it was funny and was attached to the characters, S2 made me cry. Hibike's melodrama was meh and didn't even make me sad.

Evil_kitten
Evil_kitten

@StrangeWizard

Keep biting that bait, yuricuck.

CouchChiller
CouchChiller

@GoogleCat
Hyouka is criminally underrated
not really
probably the best anime KyoAni has ever produced
definitely not
story wise
haruhi
technically
hibike
the Kanya Festival arc is top 10 in greatest arcs/sub-stories in *all* anime of all time
not even the best arc in the show, obvious hyperbole
If you thought Hyouka was boring
i didn't think it was boring
In this coming of age arc...
this stuff is mostly accurate
most lively and energetic school setting in anime, bar none
that's not a very high bar
augmented Hyouka's story with an incredibly detailed background cast - with detail that would be reserved for the main characters in any other work
kyoani are focused entirely on mastering character, as they continue everything else becomes less and less important
The amount of work done by KyoAni gives Hyouka a breath of life and really works to make the story of the light novel shine.
i can't really disagree with this

Hyouka's fatal flaw is Chitanda. Her character just isn't very interesting or likable, and she's too prominent in the show. She's just flat, and all the other main characters have way more going on. I could argue that the stakes of the show were just so low, but I don't really mind that. Really the second season (or cour or whatever) was kinda lame, especially the last sorta romance arc. The show got too far from its strengths. So the plot kinda just petered out, Chitanda is lame, etc. There were characters and moments I loved, but the show is 7/10.

Anyway, nice blog, I subscribed.

FastChef
FastChef

There's no way it's been out for three years.

Fried_Sushi
Fried_Sushi

@farquit
@ZeroReborn
I thiiiiink I liked Tamako market more than Hyouka, but I don't really understand all the praise for the movie. I liked the movie more than the show because the characters felt stronger there than they ever had before, and because the whole island native subplot thing never really quite worked (though birdman worked way better than I ever expected him to). I really felt like as a love story the weakest part of the film was the love story. You're never really given any kind of reason why the two of them should love each other. And the actual plot is just the story of them CONFESSING that love to each other, not about the love itself. I never really believed that tamako loved whatsisface, and whatsisface's love for tamako always just felt like a generic crush. Greatest love story ever told? Have you niggers even seen Kare Kano? (if you haven't, make sure to just not watch past ep 18, pretend that's the finale ;_;)

Anyway, the movie was obviously beautiful, but despite GOAT girl kanna's best efforts, I couldn't really get behind the premise. And probably because of that, the ending felt anticlimactic.

Carnalpleasure
Carnalpleasure

@Inmate
/a/non are you me? You almost sound like a normal.

LuckyDusty
LuckyDusty

But that's not disappearance

Supergrass
Supergrass

@Stark_Naked
Yamada is filters-fag.

lostmypassword
lostmypassword

@LuckyDusty
Disappearance and K-On! are both masterpieces, while everything else is just a good anime.
Except for Nichijou, which is the most well animated anime of all time.

Stupidasole
Stupidasole

@CouchChiller
I think you're right about Chitanda being a useless person. She's like the Watson to Oreki's Holmes but used in completely the wrong way. Watson is the narrator which justifies his presence. His purpose is to give perspective on what makes Holmes unusual. Whereas Oreki is the unusual one as well as the main character, which leaves plain jane Chitanda with little purpose. She should have been the MC.

RumChicken
RumChicken

@Stupidasole
Ya she's best during the first season or whatever when they're still trying to figure out her mystery, at least she's got some emotional shit going on. After that her only role is to sorta convince MC to do shit. And how does she accomplish that? Is it by appealing to his personality, or debating him, or manipulating him, or doing anything interesting? No, it's by being obstinate. And really that's what her character is reduced to. They try and do something with her being book smart but not super intuitive, like maybe she's kinda jealous about all this mystery solving stuff, or she finds it interesting because it's so foreign to her, but they never really dig into it at all. It feels like maybe she would have gotten good if the show had continued, like maybe it was all leading to something, but it ended awkwardly and nothing ever really redeemed her.

idontknow
idontknow

@Carnalpleasure

I've seen a lot of anime, but it's only recently that I've bothered to try and understand why I like or hate any of it.

Emberburn
Emberburn

Oreki is my husbando

Skullbone
Skullbone

@idontknow
Keep that up, it gives me hope. I had watched a fairly normalfag amount of anime, but in the last year or so I got really interested in the history of the medium and the community of people who enjoy it. As such I think I have tastes that are more like that of a hypothetical general audience than most anime fans. The most striking thing to me has been how many anime fans are interested in specific niches and how anime is so often designed to cater to those specific niches. There's no real core general audience for anime, and consequently it very rarely has a lot of general appeal. Which is fine, and a big part of what I find so interesting about it.

Aaaaanyway, I was just stricken by your thoughts on kyoani because that sounds exactly like a post I would write.

RumChicken
RumChicken

@ZeroReborn
I always felt like Tamako Market is was the perfect SOL; in the pure sense of the genre. The show took small slices of people's lives and distilled these moments of emotions for us to watch, it was very "touching" in a way.

King_Martha
King_Martha

oreki clapping.gif

kizzmybutt
kizzmybutt

Neo KyoAni (post keion) is garbage.

Lunatick
Lunatick

@Stupidasole

Without Chitanda Oreki would have no motivation to do anything. That doesn't even make sense. While she may not have helped him solve the 'mysteries', she's the only reason why most of them got solved by Oreki in the first place.

Sir_Gallonhead
Sir_Gallonhead

@CouchChiller

story wise
haruhi
technically
hibike

Haruhi's story stronger than Hyouka's? Not even close.

happy_sad
happy_sad

@Lunatick
Ya but that's her only role. Her character just has nothing going on. She's not even a foil of any kind, she's just like ditsy and pushy. What other traits does her character have?

Techpill
Techpill

@Sir_Gallonhead
Ya it is bruh.

WebTool
WebTool

@Lunatick
She's a fungible plot advancement tool that could easily be replaced by a 1200 yen reward or something else.

RumChicken
RumChicken

@ZeroReborn
Tamako is bland. It can get pretty cute as times though.

VisualMaster
VisualMaster

@Lunatick
There are plenty of characters in anime which serve the same role and also manage to be interesting characters on their own.

Sir_Gallonhead
Sir_Gallonhead

@Sir_Gallonhead
Disappearance tho. Haruhi, aside from endless 8, has the benefit of being more concise while more stuff happens.

askme
askme

@WebTool
The point of the story is not about solving the mystery, but about Oreki moves from boring life to "colorful" life.

Gigastrength
Gigastrength

@happy_sad
But she is Oreki's foil.

Her interest in everything and zest for life is in odds with Oreki's apathy. That's what a foil is.

CouchChiller
CouchChiller

@Sir_Gallonhead

Hyouka had more of a mood going for it with character moments, certain themes that were explored and the overall feel of the show. Haruhi had more of what could be called a story in the traditional sense.

Stark_Naked
Stark_Naked

Chitanda is top tier cute. Oreki doesn't do shit without her.

Spamalot
Spamalot

@VisualMaster
They're also in different stories and different situations. You can't just isolate her character and compare it to other characters. It's about how strong a character she is in the series and whether she served her purpose and I think she did both well.

Deadlyinx
Deadlyinx

@GoogleCat
Its best TV anime, thats about it.

Huge amount of subtle detail and depth, perfectly executed.

Snarelure
Snarelure

@Spamalot
You can't just isolate her character and compare it to other characters

Why can't I? There is nothing about her purpose that prohibits her from being a more interesting character.

SniperWish
SniperWish

@GoogleCat
all "festival ark" hype fags
Are just another normalfags that jumped on most normalfag ark train.

Movie ark is the best in the show.

Fuzzy_Logic
Fuzzy_Logic

@SniperWish
Here's your reply.

Need_TLC
Need_TLC

@happy_sad
@WebTool
Stop looking at her through Western eyes. Chitanda comes from one of the wealthy local land-owning families, and when she gets home after school she's practically back in the Middle Ages. She lives in a milieu of mutual social obligation, where everything is carefully planned. Even her future is probably planned as the family heads would be looking to choose a suitable husband for her much in the way that they would do for their broodmares.

And then she meets Oreki, an opposite in almost every way, and the two of them together form a mystery-solving machine every bit as classy as the famous Victorian coke-head and his buffoon of a sidekick. No way is she fungible, it's a unique pairing.

Sir_Gallonhead
Sir_Gallonhead

@Fuzzy_Logic
But he's right. Festival arc was overrated.

Inmate
Inmate

@Sir_Gallonhead
Movie arc was great, but definitely not best. The last few episodes are way stronger.

TreeEater
TreeEater

@CouchChiller
Hyouka's fatal flaw is Chitanda
I disagree. The mysteries are the fatal flaws. In order to get people interested in the mystery solving, you need to get people interested in the mystery first.

Emberfire
Emberfire

@Snarelure
The characters are too realistic, which may sound a little silly. None of the characters are interesting if you separate them from the rest of the cast. There's no real defining character features for any of them unlike a lot of different anime, but like I said, the situations are different since that's not what Hyouka was trying to do.

You need to compare her to the rest of the cast to see if she has been effective and how well she fit in with the others.

GoogleCat
GoogleCat

@GoogleCat
hyouka
underrated
It was pure garbage up until the festival arc both in terms of characters and misteries. Even the movie arc was mediocre at best.

Fried_Sushi
Fried_Sushi

@GoogleCat
FMP is the best KyoAni.

idontknow
idontknow

@Fried_Sushi
FMP? Fumoffu is best KyoAni.
Fixed that for you.

AwesomeTucker
AwesomeTucker

@GoogleCat
I enjoyed watching that guy suffer through his inferiority complex. I want to see him squirm more.

Nice show. took me 8 episodes to get in but was hooked after it. Nakamura and ki ni narimasu saved the show, thoroughly.

New_Cliche
New_Cliche

I've always said it's the best show Kyoani will ever make, It was fucking superb from top to bottom.

People complain about mysteries being too easy but they're in high school...
Shitty romance plot that nobody wanted.

The animation and character interaction is mesmerizing, Truly one of the greats.

Stupidasole
Stupidasole

@GoogleCat
And that said, the Kanya Festival arc is top 10 in greatest arcs/sub-stories in *all* anime of all time
HAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh wait, you're serious

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Dreamworx
Dreamworx

@Fried_Sushi
I really like fumoffu but I held TSR because it's boring.
Would watch it again if FMP s4 happen.

Bidwell
Bidwell

we definitely owe a lot to KyoAni, but around when Free! came out I stopped believing I could watch anything they spewed out and instantly enjoy it. shit like Tamako is just sheer moe, no emotionally stirring plot to speak of.

idontknow
idontknow

Boring and lame as fuck characters
Shitty misteries
Terrible pacing
good

The only decent stuff was the animation and (some) character interactions. The rest was garbage.

Deadlyinx
Deadlyinx

@idontknow
@GoogleCat

misteries

Aight

DeathDog
DeathDog

@GoogleCat
Praising Hyouka has to be one of the pathetic forced memes I've ever seen on this board.

haveahappyday
haveahappyday

@DeathDog
Memes aside since it's getting praised all the time, I did enjoy it wholeheartedly.

idontknow
idontknow

@GoogleCat
I only just realized in this post that fes arc is about hardwork vs talent. I fail in comprehension

Burnblaze
Burnblaze

Hyouka is shit and boring zzzz

the greatest KyoAni shows are Lucky Star, K-ON!/!! and Nichijou. After Nichijou KyoAni took a deep dive into the shitpile and never recovered from it.

Supergrass
Supergrass

@DeathDog
Shitting on Hyouka has to be one of the pathetic forced memes I've ever seen on this board.

Evil_kitten
Evil_kitten

@Burnblaze
Nichijou
Bait aside, you fuckers, it wasn't even that good. It was fun watching with Sheeky Forums, that's all.

PackManBrainlure
PackManBrainlure

@Evil_kitten
I'm not baiting, I'm stating my opinion. Nichijou, to me, is the japanese equivalent of Monty Python and I did not watch it with Sheeky Forums.

LuckyDusty
LuckyDusty

@GoogleCat
underrated
Not really. It's very loved on Sheeky Forums.

Lunatick
Lunatick

@LuckyDusty
After one cour was up, threads started picking up. Festival threads were on all the time.

TreeEater
TreeEater

@GoogleCat
criminally underrated.
That is Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere. Hyouka in fact is criminally overrated.

VisualMaster
VisualMaster

@TreeEater
implying we don't love the shit out of Horizon
S3 never.

Need_TLC
Need_TLC

@GoogleCat

7 years from now

7 years from now

5mileys
5mileys

It's interesting how divisive as a show Hyouka is. I'm in the camp who loves it, but I can understand where both sides are coming from.

PackManBrainlure
PackManBrainlure

My favorite SOL

It's almost time to rewatch it, too.

Playboyize
Playboyize

@Need_TLC
Oh how I wish that KyoAni could give us a movie seven years from now about Hyouka's characters all grown up. Would really like to see Oreki handling the Chitanda agri business, the little kids and the on-going sexual kininarimasu moments Chitanda has.

SniperWish
SniperWish

@TreeEater
sold twice more than hyouka
criminally underrated
What

Garbage Can Lid
Garbage Can Lid

@SniperWish
Well, only the LN fans bought the BDs.

girlDog
girlDog

@SniperWish
replying to an idiot

Bidwell
Bidwell

@Emberfire
The characters are too realistic
There's no real defining character features for any of them
unlike a lot of different anime
jumping through this many hoops trying to convince yourself chitanda's character is good

You sound like one of those star wars prequels apologists who try to convince everybody that they were bold, visionary, and 2deep4u. Every one of the main characters has a number of defining characteristics, and the show is about them coming to terms with and working through these characteristics, just like basically every character driven show ever made. Chitanda's characteristics just don't have enough character, and after the first main arc wraps up her only reasons to exist are to get MC to do stuff, and to be the love interest for MC.

@Need_TLC
What you just said is that her life is unexciting and constricting, and she finds MC interesting and novel so she hangs out with him. That's her character's motivation, it's not a significant element of her actual character. Her situation might be interesting in premise, but in terms of her dialog and role in the plot, she's boring.

@Spamalot
"Serving her purpose" means she's just got nothing to do, which sums up her character pretty well. She's literally only kept around to make MC uncomfortable.

@Gigastrength
Nah, she's not. She never actually draws anything interesting out of MC, all the other characters do. For example in the movie arc, that one bitchy chick is his foil. Chitanda convinces him to take the case like usual, but bitchy chick is the one who actually forces elements of his character out into the open. And that's the general course for the show. She doesn't actually challenge him in any way, she just says "okay now you're gonna do this," like "okay, here's the plot."

Lunatick
Lunatick

@ZeroReborn
@ZeroReborn
Tamako is better than the rep it has. I'm not going to lie, I dropped it when it was airing because I was bored out of my skull. I picked it up again after TLS came out and it was really fun.

The movie was really good. I wanted to see a kissu, but KyoAni.

iluvmen
iluvmen

@PackManBrainlure
and I did not watch it with Sheeky Forums.
this. i didn't watch it with Sheeky Forums either and i fucking loved it.

i think because the jokes are fairly simple and "cheap". it's better to watch this by yourself compared to when you watch/discuss it with others where you'll get all judgy.

Evilember
Evilember

@Lunatick
I just hate that stupid bird.

BlogWobbles
BlogWobbles

@Lunatick
Tamako is better than the rep it has
I disagree. People say TLS was the greatest love story ever told and shit when it and the whole series are 8/10 at best. The prevailing opinion on Sheeky Forums seems to be that "the show was good but the movie was phenomenal," which is definitely overrating it. They were both really, pretty, mostly very good. Not quite great.

iluvmen
iluvmen

Reading thru the responses here It's painfully obvious that the culture and language barrier is in full effect. Many of the subtleties of a show like hyouka are lost because of that and that's a shame.

Methnerd
Methnerd

@BlogWobbles
i think the movie is great, but i respect your opinion.

Snarelure
Snarelure

@BlogWobbles
But Love Story was the greatest love story ever told after After Story.

CouchChiller
CouchChiller

@Evilember
The bird was painfully unfunny. The whole series lacked humor compared to K-ON!

Sharpcharm
Sharpcharm

@Snarelure
I enjoyed it but it was painfully paint by numbers. I've seen this premise many times in Japanese media like dorama.
It's execution was exceptional especially the ending at Kyoto station.

Evil_kitten
Evil_kitten

@CouchChiller
lacked humor compared to K-ON!
That's true, but it was also less about humor than k-on. I didn't like the first several eps of Tamako because I didn't find it funny, especially the bird. I see the humor in those early eps as just trying to keep the viewer interested until the characters are established, because that's when the show really starts to work. Tamako is like 40% SoL, 20% drama, 20% comedy, while k-on is like 60% comedy, 35% SoL, 5% drama. The comedy was really rough in tamako because they tried to rely on it so much in the beginning. Once the bird becomes much less about comic relief and more just a member of the family I actually enjoyed his character. Generally speaking anime comedy works best when it's mild and comes naturally from character traits and situations much more than when it's jokey. So once the characters are all firmly established I liked the show more. Plus kanna best girl always works. So was k-on more successfully funny? Yes. But the plot was stronger in tamako. They're both around 7-8/10 for me.

Anyway, I'm rambling.

Emberburn
Emberburn

@Methnerd
@Snarelure
@Sharpcharm
see @Fried_Sushi

Methnerd
Methnerd

@AwesomeTucker
I hate his character so much. If you reduce him to a few molecules, he would exist entirely out of, passive aggresiveness, inferiority complex, crab mentality and validation seeking.

Crazy_Nice
Crazy_Nice

@Methnerd
Is it because you see yourself in him?

Inmate
Inmate

@CouchChiller
I don't think they wanted to go for comedy at all. It was just a slice of life in the market and it was great at that if they didn't introduce the nigger islanders.

VisualMaster
VisualMaster

@Crazy_Nice
No, its because I had a friend similar to him in my middleschool. always dragging people down because he would do nothing but quote pop memes and complain about how terrible the 59'ers were

Skullbone
Skullbone

@VisualMaster
fuck you johnathan

Raving_Cute
Raving_Cute

@Evil_kitten
The drama as well as the comedy wasn't that compelling. Like how it turned out Midori didn't have romantic feelings for Tamako after all so there was never any love triangle, just an overprotective friend. I figure both elements were compromised by too strong a goal of creating an iyashikei anime with no negativity. Can't have drama without conflict and humor comes from human cruelty. All that remains is the SoL which was great except I didn't care about the characters that much because they're all so tepid without drama or comedy to define them.

On the other hand, the movie was great because Tamako is finally put in a situation she's forced to resolve. It gives you a chance to root for her and feel involved instead of passively observing mundane shit.

Burnblaze
Burnblaze

@Raving_Cute
I pretty much agree with all this. And the whole midori thing just confuses me. When I watched the show I definitely thought she like the dude, but it was never really worked over at all except that it paid off in the end with her setting up the two of them. And then of course I come to Sheeky Forums and find out everybody here thinks she wan into tamako. Really it's the same either way I guess, and it definitely seems like the whole subplot (if you could even call it that) was intentionally ambiguous. But overall I feel like that subplot only weakens the show because it never really gets developed or goes anywhere. It was really weird. So then when you take into account the fact that midori is the least fleshed out and interesting character of the main girls, you're kinda left with the fact that she exists for the purpose of this subplot. I hate to say it, but the whole thing may have just been tighter if she were cut.

DeathDog
DeathDog

@Burnblaze
I just read my own comment and I have no idea how I made this many typos. Time for bed.

Ignoramus
Ignoramus

For many, Tamako Market is mildly funny at most (failed comedy), with an unsolved love triangle (failed romance), potential character development left here and there(failed drama). It doesn't even care to explain the talking bird (failed fantasy).

The show doesn't try to fit into any genre, or achieve anything. Just like any great slice of life anime.

Illusionz
Illusionz

@GoogleCat
I fucking loved Hyouka and I was gutted when it ended. I haven't watched Nichijou, though, is it any good? Anything like Hyouka?

SomethingNew
SomethingNew

@CouchChiller
technically
hibike

There's no way you can actually believe this. Hibike is nowhere near as visually refined as Hyouka or even as refined in general. The backgrounds, background characters, use of lighting, use of the soundtrack, hell even just the animation itself are all lacking compared to Hyouka.

Evilember
Evilember

Hyouka aired in 2012
there still isn't a show that looks better

Why is that

Nude_Bikergirl
Nude_Bikergirl

@Evilember
Not many people care as much as KyoAni does.

Methshot
Methshot

@Bidwell
.Every one of the main characters has a number of defining characteristics, and the show is about them coming to terms with and working through these characteristics, just like basically every character driven show ever made.

If you want to do that you can quite easily reduce the characters to the jokes that they are.

Oreki is the underachiever who lacks motivation. Fubuke is the guy who befriended him and suffers from an inferiority complex. Ibara is the girl who's there.

None of them are particularly interesting on their own or at the conceptual level. The only reason they work is because of the setting of the show allowed their quirks to play out, and that does include Chitanda as well.

Chitanda needed to be low key for Oreki to work. He's not actually that interesting an MC, yes, other people may serve as foils for him during various arcs but without Chitanda or someone like Chitanda there's no spark for him and he would lack any sort of motivation. You can't remove Chitanda, give him another source of inspiration and claim it's the same show.

farquit
farquit

@Soft_member
But Hyouka had loads of CGI. It was just incredibly well-done.

5mileys
5mileys

@AwesomeTucker
I enjoyed watching that guy suffer through his inferiority complex. I want to see him squirm more.
Yes this, the little shit that he was, he was easily the weakest link of the show, always forcing his problems into it

Harmless_Venom
Harmless_Venom

@Fried_Sushi
He felt like a homo in denial confessing "love" that wasn't real. It really would have been better if he just came out as gay to Tamako and she found a better boyfriend.

Lord_Tryzalot
Lord_Tryzalot

@Evilember
KyoAni spent all the money they made on the K-On!! Franchise on nichijou and hyouka

AwesomeTucker
AwesomeTucker

@Methshot
being this delusional
The reason characters are good in hyouka (when they are) is because they have interesting characteristics and because they are well written / directed. Chitanda is satisfactorily written / directed, but has no interesting characteristics at all. She's just flat. You could certainly replace Chitanda and claim it's the same show, just have one of those other characters push him around like gay dude or other girl. It might be kind of awkward, but it also might be better than having a character only exist for that purpose. Or go the cliche route and have some kind of faculty adviser do it, as long as that character has something interesting going on. But probably the best option would be to just improve chitanda's existing character. Make her interesting somehow. Having a character only exist in order to directly motivate another character without being interesting on their own is lame, especially when they're a main character of the show who is ALWAYS around. I understand that her role is to pull him into this happy exciting life that he's never really sought out for himself, but that's just not enough to justify her being around all the time.

kizzmybutt
kizzmybutt

I'm not really a fan of Kyonani, but I loved Hyouka. It has something that most other Kyonani shows seem to lack.

Idk, I'm watching Hibike right now, on episode 8 and it just seems weirdly... souless compared to Hyouka aside the excellent animation. I can't quite put my finger on it. I feel completely uninvested in Hibike, I couldn't give a damn whether they win the competition or not. And I couldn't even get past the second episode of KnK, the writing was abysmal.

RavySnake
RavySnake

@kizzmybutt
KnK is just fapfuel for the doujins.

Crazy_Nice
Crazy_Nice

@RavySnake
Mitsuki is my personal cum queen

Sharpcharm
Sharpcharm

@kizzmybutt
compared
There's your problem.

It's fucking stupid to compare two different works to each other. It's like you're deliberately trying not to enjoy something.

Deadlyinx
Deadlyinx

@GoogleCat
expected the "fast paced boke" of Nichijoi in Hyouka
Nobody expected this. We expected a half-decent detective series, and likable characters. We got none.

KyoAni's effort was indeed enormous, but enormous effort does not result into a good outcome. It fell flat. They tried so hard to give depth to the characters, but they still had none. This is what happens when you work with a subpar source. Haruhi given the same treatment would have been the best thing ever to come out of this anime industry.

Wait, let me correct myself. This is what happens when you try to make out of the source something it isn't. If they had instead chosen to flanderize additionally the already flat characters, and had done the mystery bullshit in a self-aware manner, it would have made for a quite enjoyable series.

Burnblaze
Burnblaze

@GoogleCat
Its correctly rated but gets hate because you faggots keep on raiding other threads and shows

CodeBuns
CodeBuns

@Deadlyinx
we
Speak for yourself, shit taste-kun.

Fuzzy_Logic
Fuzzy_Logic

@Deadlyinx
Haruhi given the same treatment would have been the best thing ever to come out of this anime industry.

kizzmybutt
kizzmybutt

People like to knock Kyoani a lot, but they've put out a lot of really quality shows.

Really, the only disappointing work in the past few years has been Amagi. I didn't enjoy it at all.

Tamako and Hyouka were amazing, and I liked KnK a lot, despite its reputation

CodeBuns
CodeBuns

@Fuzzy_Logic
I admit bias, Snow Mountain Syndrome is something I've always wanted to see. But, considering how well received The Disappearance is, I think I'm onto something with this statement.

ZeroReborn
ZeroReborn

Maybe Hyouka gets hate because pseudo-intellectuals were suspiciously quick to turn their opinions of the show around back then.

ZeroReborn
ZeroReborn

@Inmate
The yuri pandering in the show was very annoying. It was a solid show, but in my opinion it could have been so much more. Instead of baiting up Reina x Kumiko relationship for views, they should have worked more on the Asuka x Reina relationship and foreshadowed the future novels way more.

Fuzzy_Logic
Fuzzy_Logic

@ZeroReborn
were suspiciously quick to turn their opinions of the show around
You mean, the show was suspiciously quick to do all things a decent mystery show should never do? The movie script arc specifically is the worst offender in this regard.

Snarelure
Snarelure

I think KyoAni's TV anime has been on a tilt since KnK, hopefully they're back on track because Eupho was great.

5mileys
5mileys

@Snarelure
Hibike had so many great things about it - the art, the music/OST, the characters, direction, "cinematography", all of it.

Yuri pandering or not, it's absolutely a contender for AOTY

5mileys
5mileys

@Need_TLC
Yes, and all the stuff you just mentioned was really only fully touched upon in the final arc. For much of the show she really is only there cajole Oreki into doing things and to catalyze him into a life of "color" rather than apathy. She's less a character and more a tool. More could have been done with her.

At minimum her interest in mysteries and such things could have been developed more and throughout the series. At minimum her interest in mysteries could have been shown to come out of boredom with the rigidity of current life.

Emberburn
Emberburn

@5mileys
it's absolutely a contender for AOTY
There's barely any competition so far. Just Pleiades and Yuri Bears.

likme
likme

@Emberburn
That doesn't diminish Hibike in any way. Everybody else just needs to step up

Methshot
Methshot

@likme
I think he was saying it more as Hibike being an obvious choice, not this it's the only choice in an otherwise slow year

StrangeWizard
StrangeWizard

@likme
There's that Prism Nana OVA next season. I'm hyped because it looks like SHAFT is going to step it up for once.
@Methshot
Yup.

Poker_Star
Poker_Star

@GoogleCat
Fuck off cancer.

haveahappyday
haveahappyday

Hyouka is easily the most overrated show ever. It's borderline unwatchable yet retards like OP continue to claim they like it. If you think you liked Hyouka, you're probably just patting yourself on the back for being such a mature anime fan that you can watch dull faggots like Oreki and friends do a whole lot of nothing, investigate non-interesting non-mysteries, and experience a lot of non-dramatic events leading to much character non-development ending in a non-conclusion. Fucking nothing: the show.

New_Cliche
New_Cliche

@haveahappyday
I think you are stupid.

w8t4u
w8t4u

@StrangeWizard
There's that Prism Nana OVA next season
On the one hand, I'm excited because Shaft always delivers visually, and I trust them with magical girls after PMMM.

On the other, I can't really glean much from the PVs. I'm not sure whether it'll be good enough to even think about contending for AOTY yet - although that will probably change once it airs.

StrangeWizard
StrangeWizard

@haveahappyday
This. I don't know why you guys don't watch mature, thought-provoking shows like Gangsta instead.

Dreamworx
Dreamworx

@haveahappyday
You sound like your favourite anime is Dragonball Z.

TurtleCat
TurtleCat

@w8t4u
The PVs are old so they're probably not much to go by, but the staff will have a lot of freedom with this project. So I'm on board.

Spamalot
Spamalot

I liked KnK a lot and I'll never understand why it's so looked down upon.

Great visuals
Interesting characters
Good designs
Good directing/scene setting/etc
Nice aesthetic

The plot wasn't some kind of 10/10 piece of perfection, but it was good enough to carry the show.

farquit
farquit

@Spamalot
Basically that, the plot and writing were weak, and the ending left a bad taste in most people's mouths. I'm looking forward to the movie though, because as you said pretty much everything else was great, and I think there's a lot of potential there.

Inmate
Inmate

@Spamalot
the characters were fetish stereotypes and the humor was godawful

Sir_Gallonhead
Sir_Gallonhead

@farquit
I'm looking forward to the movie though, because as you said pretty much everything else was great, and I think there's a lot of potential there.
This, definitely. I'm sure with a biggger budget and a movie plot rather than an episodic one, it'll be good.

@Inmate
the humor was godawful
That's pretty subjective - I found myself laughing sometimes.

Stupidasole
Stupidasole

Are the girls in Hyouka good

iluvmen
iluvmen

@Stupidasole
are the girls in [show by KyoAni] cute
Do you really need to ask?

RavySnake
RavySnake

@Stupidasole
Kyoani girls
Ever bad

MPmaster
MPmaster

@farquit
I thought both movies were recaps

another thing to look forward to, then

Carnalpleasure
Carnalpleasure

tried to start up Hyouka again where I left off
it was an episode where Chitanda wants to figure out why she got angry
takes me an hour to finish
Holy fuck, I really want to like it because it has interesting direction and great art, but goddamn.

Sharpcharm
Sharpcharm

@MPmaster
First is a recap, second is new content.

PurpleCharger
PurpleCharger

@iluvmen
@RavySnake
I like tsunderes a lot or I guess just generally grumpy girls idk if Kyoani really does that do they

girlDog
girlDog

there are people on Sheeky Forums who think Nichijou was good
literally shittest taste possible
even SAO and titanfags aren't as gay as you

RavySnake
RavySnake

@MPmaster
First is the series in movie form

Second is a new story.

@Sharpcharm
I thought the second came out already. Was it just not subbed, or are we still waiting for the BDs?

Sir_Gallonhead
Sir_Gallonhead

@girlDog
there are people on Sheeky Forums who think Nichijou was good

@PurpleCharger
Can you learn how to type like a human being? You sound like a retard.

viagrandad
viagrandad

@RavySnake
Waiting on BDs for subs.

eGremlin
eGremlin

@PurpleCharger
Azusa
Mayaka
Shinka
Mitsuki
Rin
Ribbons

There's usually atleast one grumpy girl in their shows

Nojokur
Nojokur

@viagrandad
Waiting on BDs for subs.
Do we have a release date yet? Or a sub group who said they'd pick it up?

happy_sad
happy_sad

@farquit
The only thing that was shit about Tamako Market was the entire retarded ass brown prince/slut/fat bird subplot.

It would've been 9/10 if it wasn't for that garbage
I don't understand why that was even there.

takes2long
takes2long

@Sir_Gallonhead
@Carnalpleasure
be butthurt
call someone bait

CodeBuns
CodeBuns

@Sir_Gallonhead

are you saying retards cant be human beings?? why dont you go be a baka away from me over there i dont want you breathing in my air

Carnalpleasure
Carnalpleasure

@Nojokur
Sometime in the next few months, can't remember but before the year's out. Probably will get subbed by the same group who did the first, but who knows.

Fuzzy_Logic
Fuzzy_Logic

Haruhi>Amagi=Hibike>Free ES>Free>Nichijou>Chuu2>K-On>Clannad>K-On!!>KnK>>>Chuu2Ren

Only listed ones I finished; I dropped Hyouka,Tamako, and Clannad AS, and haven't watched the rest.

SniperWish
SniperWish

@Fuzzy_Logic
I respect your opinions even though I wholeheartedly disagree. By the way, lists like that are relatively meaningless without any sort of descriptive reasoning, so maybe keep that in mind for the next time you try posting!

SomethingNew
SomethingNew

@Carnalpleasure
I didn't even know the first was subbed.

Still, I hope it doesn't take too long for the new movie to get picked up

w8t4u
w8t4u

@Fuzzy_Logic
I'm probably the only person who wasn't impressed by Haruhi's TV series AND movie.

StrangeWizard
StrangeWizard

@w8t4u
I'm probably the only person
I sincerely doubt that, user.

Nojokur
Nojokur

@AwesomeTucker
Push motivating him on to a girl who hates him and his friend who does nothing at all of the sort
Faculty member

Yahari? Want something genuine as well?

Supergrass
Supergrass

@happy_sad
the point of this was reflecting the situation of Mochizou and Tamako

Dreamworx
Dreamworx

@w8t4u
I'm lukewarm about the TV but the movie is indeed a masterpiece

SniperGod
SniperGod

@w8t4u

I didn't like Haruhi or the movie really either they were okay but I never felt like they were masterpieces or anything. I was pretty bored through both of them and just watched because they were popular so I could see what all the hype was about.

Nojokur
Nojokur

@Nojokur
@SomethingNew
Movie BD is out on October 7th, I'll rip it as soon as it arrives. Hopefully it'll be as great to the series as TLS was to TM

Emberburn
Emberburn

@Nojokur
I'll rip it as soon as it arrives.
Sounds great - thanks, user. Do you also sub, or are you putting up the raws so that someone else can pick it up.

Hopefully it'll be as great to the series as TLS was to TM
I actually liked those two about equally - I can see why some people liked the movie better, but I was a huge fan of the tv series, so the movie was more like a cherry ontop, instead of a whole new meal. But I agree otherwise.

w8t4u
w8t4u

Rewatching Lucky Star

It's more fun than I remembered. Sometimes it's hard to think it's Kyoani, though

Playboyize
Playboyize

What would you rather have, a season 2 or Hyouka: Love Story?

SniperGod
SniperGod

@Playboyize
Whichever is not anime original.

ZeroReborn
ZeroReborn

@Playboyize
Hyouka: Irisu Love Story

Garbage Can Lid
Garbage Can Lid

@Spamalot
I really like the twist that Mirai was actually sent to kill Akky, plus this part the of the show was so depressing I loved it.

TreeEater
TreeEater

@Playboyize
Hyouka: high quality hentai made by KyoAni featuring Oreki and Irisu while Chitanda watches and takes notes.

CouchChiller
CouchChiller

@Inmate
It's the type of show that's really difficult to describe why it's actually good. On the surface it's just another high school sports (sort of) drama with KyoAni flash (which also could be a bad thing to some people). I like it a lot because I thought every single character was well written to the point where I couldn't dislike any of them and they all felt realistic beyond the vast majority of anime characters, where even in Hyouka I didn't think Chitanda was sufficient.

But then again, there are people who just didn't care about most of the characters so it's not like I could convince them with that argument. It's also not a perfect show and even I would criticize some of it, especially so the yuribait. And when you're talking about the discussions know that anything outside of Sheeky Forums only cares about the yuri and even here the shipping faggotry resulted in hours of anguish.

SniperWish
SniperWish

@Garbage Can Lid
I really liked most of the character interactions throughout the show. I thought they were the best parts.

takes2long
takes2long

@Emberburn
I'm just putting up the raws, I'm not a subber but it took weeks just to get the TLS raws so this is better than nothing for most people

Booteefool
Booteefool

@takes2long
but it took weeks just to get the TLS raws so this is better than nothing for most people
I hated that wait. Still, I'm very happy you're putting up the raws.

Lunatick
Lunatick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIgwAmEHbZA

takes2long
takes2long

Hyouka is good but not that great.

Disappearance still stands as Kyoani's masterpiece.

kizzmybutt
kizzmybutt

@Playboyize
Hyouka: Love Story

Dreamworx
Dreamworx

I'm halfway through + the OVA and I'm really enjoying it. K-On! and Haruhi are still my favourite KyoAni shows, but Hyouka's absolutely very well done. Fantastic visuals and music create a great atmosphere, and while the stories themselves are kinda simple, I can get invested in them. Plus I like the characters, for the most part.

MPmaster
MPmaster

@takes2long
Comparing Movie to TV is stupid.

Carnalpleasure
Carnalpleasure

@MPmaster
But the K-ON movie is probably the worst part of the series.

Spamalot
Spamalot

@Carnalpleasure
True, it's only 9.5/10 while the TV series is the best anime of all time.

Carnalpleasure
Carnalpleasure

@Carnalpleasure
But the K-ON movie is probably the worst part of the series.
But that's wrong.

Plus, it's probably the last we'll get of animated K-on stuff, so that makes it special too.

I'd love to see them animate the college manga, but I doubt it'll happen

VisualMaster
VisualMaster

@Carnalpleasure
Sure, but you can't legitimately compare a movie to a television series, they're completely different in terms of approach and experience.

Lunatick
Lunatick

@Carnalpleasure
No.

RavySnake
RavySnake

@Spamalot
This guy gets it.

@Carnalpleasure
It was a fantastic way to give the fans more without cheapening the experience like the college and high school manga did.

PurpleCharger
PurpleCharger

@w8t4u
and I trust them with magical girls after PMMM.
Madoka was hardly a typical Shaft project, don't expect something similar. Especially considering the point of view on Madoka most fans seem to take as natural.

Spazyfool
Spazyfool

@RavySnake
It was a fantastic way to give the fans more without cheapening the experience like the college and high school manga did.

While that's entirely correct, I'd like another movie if it's at all possible. I need more K-on in my life.

BunnyJinx
BunnyJinx

@PurpleCharger
Madoka was hardly a typical Shaft project, don't expect something similar.
It's not that I want them to rehash Madoka or something, I just trust that Shaft isn't going to give us some standard, cliche mahou shoujo fare a la Sailor Moon/Precure and the like.

lostmypassword
lostmypassword

@Spazyfool
I do too, but at the same time I'm afraid, y'know? You can't improve on what's already perfect, so they'd have to at least match it in order to not disappoint. That's a tall order considering how long it's been.

w8t4u
w8t4u

@ZeroReborn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NRk2QjTm5g
DAAAAAAAAAAAKKEEEEEEEEEEDDOOOOOOOOOOO

BunnyJinx
BunnyJinx

@lostmypassword
I get it, but I still want more K-On. I trust Kyo-ani now more than ever, and I'm pretty positive they'd be able to deliver.

All they'd have to do is give the girls something interesting to do, and keep their interactions/characterizations well written. I don't need something flashy, just comfy and cute.

On the other hand, though, cheapening the experience is a legitimate threat and I don't want it to be ruined.

Crazy_Nice
Crazy_Nice

@Playboyize
I wonder what would happen if you gave Hyouka even more budget.

TLS was fucking gorgeous, I can't wait to see how great KnK is going to look with a movie budget

iluvmen
iluvmen

=@Crazy_Nice

It'll be crazy good looking. I'm sure Hibike would be too, if it gets a movie like I hope it does.

And the KnK movie is going to be absolutely beautiful.

AwesomeTucker
AwesomeTucker

@Crazy_Nice
If KnK had one thing going for it, it was the visuals. I'm super excited to see it in movie quality.

Deadlyinx
Deadlyinx

Amagi was the worst thing Kyoani has put out in a number of years. I can't understand its popularity at all, besides the qts.

w8t4u
w8t4u

@Deadlyinx
I thought it was pretty funny. The plot was pretty stupid but it never asked to be taken seriously. I liked it but it's certainly one of their weaker works.

Stark_Naked
Stark_Naked

@Deadlyinx
Girls were cute as fuck, that's enough to carry shows sometimes

Also, bad for Kyoani is still good for other studios in comparison

TalkBomber
TalkBomber

@Crazy_Nice
Literally the only thing they could improve on was the character acting, and that's not something you can buy with money.

kizzmybutt
kizzmybutt

People seriously consider K-ON and Haruhi Kyoani's best show

whereismyname
whereismyname

@kizzmybutt
K-ON would be anybody's best show

Fuzzy_Logic
Fuzzy_Logic

@kizzmybutt
K-On! is the pinnacle of anime you nerd.

iluvmen
iluvmen

Is there some secret meaning in K-ON? I watched it a few years ago and that was that, but I see it getting praised a lot. Or do people find it the best execution of CGDCT?

CodeBuns
CodeBuns

@iluvmen
There's a secret meaning.

Sharpcharm
Sharpcharm

@kizzmybutt
It's hard to say what "best" might mean.

K-on might not be the best from a technical or plot-based perspective, but it was certainly great.

Nichijou might be their best animation wise, because there's a lot of love in every episode from the animators, but it's a comedy.

Hyouka and Tamako are visually beautiful and plot based, but both certainly aren't exactly for everybody.

It's hard to truly choose a best.

@iluvmen
Is there some secret meaning in K-ON?
It was an immensely enjoyable show, with memorable characters, "feels", fun animation, and tons and tons of cute moments.

There's no secret meaning, it's just really really great. Probably in the top 5 best SoL's, if I could say so.

BinaryMan
BinaryMan

Hyouka is criminally underrated
Watch more anime, faggot.

Burnblaze
Burnblaze

@takes2long
I think TLS and Hyouka are better than Disappearance.

StrangeWizard
StrangeWizard

@BinaryMan
You forgot the zzz meme.

Skullbone
Skullbone

@BinaryMan
Why bother, it's all downhill once you watch Hyouka anyways

StrangeWizard
StrangeWizard

@iluvmen
It's a well crafted, down-to-earth show about high school girls. It doesn't do the same mistakes most shows like it do by overstating itself.

Supergrass
Supergrass

@BunnyJinx
90s Sailor Moon and Heartcatch are better than Madoka.

FastChef
FastChef

@Supergrass
That's just like, you're opinion man

My point was more that those former two were more classic magical girl shows, while Madoka did its own thing. I figure that another Shaft mahou shoujo show is going to also do its own thing, rather than rely entirely on the genre's normal tropes and stuff.

DeathDog
DeathDog

@BunnyJinx
madoka
not cliche
Huh? The anime revels in mahou shoujo cliches and the ending was even a homage to Sailor Moon.

Bidwell
Bidwell

@Dreamworx
halfway through
sorry bud gonna be downhill fast from here

Inmate
Inmate

@Burnblaze
well you're a fucking fool

SniperWish
SniperWish

Hyouka is easily my favourite Kyoani show and a solid 3x3 slot holder.

Yet I found Tamako dull as shit and rank it as the third worst Kyoani show. (KnK being number 1 and Chu2 Ren number 2)

New_Cliche
New_Cliche

people who hate KnK hate fun

CouchChiller
CouchChiller

I will never understand the appeal of Hyouka. The first time I watched it I got about 12 episodes in before I gave up and just read the story summary. Even then I wasn't impressed. I sit down and try to watch it every now and then, but I'm quick to remember how dull it is. What is even the point of anything in this show? It's like a boring Detective Conan or something and there's no character development or relationships or anything of interest. I am genuinely baffled at the praise this show gets.

Raving_Cute
Raving_Cute

@SniperWish
I agree with Chuu2ren, but judging Tamako that low is terrible of you.

Plus, KnK is good too.

kizzmybutt
kizzmybutt

@Raving_Cute
I'm sorry, but we're going to have to agree to disagree.
I hold nothing but contempt for both shows and their boring/annoying cast.
Maybe I'll get down to watching TLS at some point if Sheeky Forums is being genuine about it being good and not being revisionists again.

Illusionz
Illusionz

@SniperWish
I want to fuck her curious ass

Sir_Gallonhead
Sir_Gallonhead

@Illusionz
That picture is so sexual I love it.

farquit
farquit

This thread needs more top 3 kyoani girl

kizzmybutt
kizzmybutt

@DeathDog
It's pretty much my favorite anime. This is coming from a guy who normally likes /m/ stuff, SoL and certain action shows.

The entire thing is brilliant from top to bottom. Everything from the dialog, to the layout of the mysteries (protip: they're not supposed to be brain busters for the audience like a murder mystery, they're catalysts for character development), the character development, and the Godly directing by Takemoto. It was a shining example of how you can use visual symbolism to enhance a story.

Garbage Can Lid
Garbage Can Lid

@kizzmybutt
Hyouka is SOL though

Lord_Tryzalot
Lord_Tryzalot

As far as I'm concerned its KyoAnis best show.

Its pretty hard for me to even think of something I didn't like in it.

Emberburn
Emberburn

@iluvmen
It's a deconstruction of the high school slice-of-life genre with plenty of deep philosophical value. As they grow closer together life pulls them farther apart. The more happy memories they experience together the more painful it will be when they've gotten older and go their separate ways. But none of that deters them, they allow themselves to become as attached as you can possibly get in 3 years.

kizzmybutt
kizzmybutt

im tired of people calling this underrated, it is not at all. you can love it all you want that is whatever but calling it underrated is just lol

LuckyDusty
LuckyDusty

@Spamalot
I also loved it, and I've learned that most people on Sheeky Forums are actually stupid and can't articulate an opinion. When they complain about "plot holes" that are actually things the show addresses explicitly, you shouldn't waste your breath arguing with them.

Illusionz
Illusionz

@Garbage Can Lid
It's not pure SoL. It's got a heavy focus on characterization and development with a bit of drama, and the directing style isn't reminiscent of other SoL series.

StonedTime
StonedTime

@Emberburn
it's not a deconstruction of any kind but stop you're gonna make me cry ;_;

TurtleCat
TurtleCat

Fuyumi Irisu
Man the arc with her cut a chunk out my soul

Still better written than any other Irene Adler ever has been.

Sharpcharm
Sharpcharm

@TurtleCat
Still better written than any other Irene Adler ever has been.
Because she's not a love interest, but she's still clever and can manipulate him.

5mileys
5mileys

this fuckin thread needs to be over now

w8t4u
w8t4u

Has gotten a lot of praise
It is criminally underrated
does not compute

Hyouka was simply overshadowed by the KyoAni's previous sakuga work, Nichijou - and the audience, most likely newfags, were expected the "fast paced boke" of Nichijoi in Hyouka
From the way you write how we all should watch it again I guess, you were one of those newfags you are talking about.

@Sir_Gallonhead
@Carnalpleasure
you miss the forest for the trees.

Deadlyinx
Deadlyinx

@Sharpcharm
Like Irene in the original books. Mutual respect but it's been twisted by other writers into love.

idontknow
idontknow

@Deadlyinx
you nerds talking about hibike?

Emberburn
Emberburn

@Poker_Star
Fuck off cancer.

JunkTop
JunkTop

@5mileys
Because you can't read and you don't like series with good writing?

lostmypassword
lostmypassword

@farquit
@Fried_Sushi
@Emberburn
Cancer.

Fried_Sushi
Fried_Sushi

@Inmate
some people trying too hard to make a garbage like Tamako Market look good and Hibike look bad

Spamalot
Spamalot

Don't forget the cutest and best Hyouka girl.

Poker_Star
Poker_Star

@Spamalot
Yes I think about Mayaka every day

lostmypassword
lostmypassword

@GoogleCat
hyouka is technically a masterpiece, just like hibike

Methshot
Methshot

@Spamalot
This is absolute total anime hair. It looks ridiculous no matter how well drawn it is.

StrangeWizard
StrangeWizard

@Spamalot
yes Kaori is my waifu

Dreamworx
Dreamworx

@Methshot
It's supposed to look ridiculous in-universe

Sharpcharm
Sharpcharm

Someone post quiz show Mugi.

Garbage Can Lid
Garbage Can Lid

Hyouka is also my favorite KyoAni show but I'm not sure if it's underrated, I can see why some wouldn't like it but I love it.

lostmypassword
lostmypassword

@Garbage Can Lid
why

LuckyDusty
LuckyDusty

@FastChef
Madoka relied heavily on the genre's normal tropes and stuff. HEAVILY.

Then again, Shaft are at their best when they abuse the set in stone cliches to do something beautiful out of them. This doesn't mean Madoka is "different", but then again people think NGE is "different" than the normal mecha show, so people are stupid.

However, while with Madoka one can delude himself that we have never seen anything like this before, a normal Shaft production is much more open about what it copies from. I bet Prism Nana is going to be open too.

Nojokur
Nojokur

@LuckyDusty
Shaft is shit

Flameblow
Flameblow

@Nojokur
Shaft is indeed shit. This doesn't refute anything that I said though.

SniperGod
SniperGod

@Nojokur
They're good at powerpoints

Raving_Cute
Raving_Cute

@haveahappyday
continue to claim they like it. If you think you liked Hyouka,
You can't have liked this anime because I say so, no matter how much you actually liked it

eGremlin
eGremlin

Second best tbh fam

Techpill
Techpill

@eGremlin
tbh
fam
consider suicide.

Evilember
Evilember

@Techpill
smh tbqh fam

girlDog
girlDog

@eGremlin
What does fam mean? I've never understood it.

eGremlin
eGremlin

@girlDog
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fam

BinaryMan
BinaryMan

@Methshot
She's from the astronomy club, her hair represents planets and an asteroid belt.

Supergrass
Supergrass

@girlDog
I think it's short for family or familiar or something like that. Hopefully people get over this new type of ironic shitposting sooner than later.

TechHater
TechHater

hyouka, a series about nothing

Sir_Gallonhead
Sir_Gallonhead

@girlDog
cancer memeword

ZeroReborn
ZeroReborn

@Sir_Gallonhead
salty af tbqh fam

VisualMaster
VisualMaster

@VisualMaster
So has the word shill just come to mean fan of now?

Evil_kitten
Evil_kitten

@VisualMaster
It's a fan of something you don't like.

Deadlyinx
Deadlyinx

@Evil_kitten
Then he wouldn't say he should give them a try

Poker_Star
Poker_Star

@Deadlyinx
Who knows, maybe he blindly hated it without watching the shows.

Stupidasole
Stupidasole

@TechHater
so why is it bad if Hyouka is about nothing but every SOL show that comes out is AOTS?

SniperGod
SniperGod

@Stupidasole
Except Hyouka isn't a series about nothing. That's retarded.

BlogWobbles
BlogWobbles

@Stupidasole
Hyouka was about character development told through clever dialog and literally perfect visual symbolism. The SoL people tend to like are iyashikei comedy stuff.

I can't fucking wait till my moon is good enough to read the novels and follow everything that happens in them.

cum2soon
cum2soon

@Stupidasole
Because you can't handle the bants

idontknow
idontknow

@BlogWobbles
The novels are translated

BinaryMan
BinaryMan

@BlogWobbles
The idiot will just reply with "there's no clever dialog though". Let it go, he's stupid, you can't convince him that he's wrong..

TreeEater
TreeEater

@idontknow
Reading English translations of a novel that relies on wordplay and subtle nuances in a language completely different than English
If I wanted the cliffnotes plot summary experience, I'd just read it in moon and let all the good stuff go over my head.

Burnblaze
Burnblaze

@idontknow
Not the last ones.

@BlogWobbles
Based Takemotes with his shaft-y flavour.

Spazyfool
Spazyfool

I identify with Oreki.
I'm not as attractive as him though.

Bidwell
Bidwell

@TreeEater
So you watched the anime without subs too?

Need_TLC
Need_TLC

@BlogWobbles
There's NTR

Stark_Naked
Stark_Naked

@Bidwell
If you read his post, you'd know he already has a base on Japanese. A base is enough to understand lots of the lost-in-translation stuff in Hyouka, I know because that's my case as well.

Lunatick
Lunatick

@Bidwell
user, are you pretending to be retarded? Anime is a visual medium. It's fundamentally different in how it tells it's story. It doesn't use narration to paint a scene, it uses moving pictures. There aren't any language barriers with those. Takemoto did a phenomenal job, and at some point in the future I'd like to see how the author tells that story with his words. English translations are shit; it doesn't take much time reading moon to realize this.

@Need_TLC
You're shitposting died down for almost a year. What brought you back?

Ignoramus
Ignoramus

@BlogWobbles
One thing I noticed was that a lot of the 'mind visualization' was dropped the further on it got, which was a shame.

idontknow
idontknow

@Stark_Naked
How much of it was lost in translation?
Honest question, most of the japanese wordplay is outright explained in the show iirc

SniperWish
SniperWish

@Ignoramus
The nature of the story changed, and that's ok.

@idontknow
Dialog you see in the anime is just enough to get the point across and complement the visuals. Talking to a friend who knows more moon than I do; Hyouka is similar to the Monogatari novels in that there's a ton of word play and little puns an nuances with ways of presenting words and kanji.

You need to have a solid handle on the language to get the full picture.

JunkTop
JunkTop

@idontknow
Not much, it's small thing that, like I said, are simple enough to be understood with only a base in Japanese (expressing emotion through particles, visual symbolism through kanji, etc).

CodeBuns
CodeBuns

@Lunatick
There aren't any language barriers with those.
Not exactly language barriers, but certainly cultural ones.

SniperGod
SniperGod

@idontknow
Actually, forget this @JunkTop
and read this @SniperWish

Stupidasole
Stupidasole

@Emberburn
The more happy memories they experience together the more painful it will be when they've gotten older and go their separate ways

Boy_vs_Girl
Boy_vs_Girl

@BlogWobbles
literally perfect visual symbolism
get a load of this guy

Need_TLC
Need_TLC

@BlogWobbles
mfw Hyouka is literally art

Poker_Star
Poker_Star

@GoogleCat
So fucking boring.

StrangeWizard
StrangeWizard

@Boy_vs_Girl
I'm not surprised someone this stupid is posting Nonon.

Raving_Cute
Raving_Cute

@Boy_vs_Girl
I really hope what you posted was just a reaction image, and that you're not even pretending in the slightest that anything Imaishi directs has visual symbolism that's anything above trash.

And yes, it's perfect.

Flameblow
Flameblow

@Poker_Star
This happens a lot. This board is shit.

Also, Hyouka a best KyoAni and one of my favorites.

Fried_Sushi
Fried_Sushi

@BlogWobbles
Mayaka's room is cute.

SomethingNew
SomethingNew

@BlogWobbles
To bad nothing great happens in Vol. 5.

girlDog
girlDog

@SomethingNew
They won't animate any more until at least another volume comes out, so I'm not bothered by volume 5's supposed lack of content.

Deadlyinx
Deadlyinx

@Raving_Cute
being impressed by this "visual symbolism"
c'mon fella

askme
askme

@Deadlyinx
I won't make an actual point about camera angles, lighting, color pallet or metaphors; or anything else that goes into visual symbolism
Instead I'll throw in a "clever" comment to cover up the fact that I can't follow what's going on in the picture and use a great smug face with it!

TurtleCat
TurtleCat

Hyouka is one of Kyoani's only good shows. Shit, missed the thread.

Gigastrength
Gigastrength

@askme
i wouldn't even call this shit symbolic, it's really beating the viewer over the head with a visual style in order to establish tension in the scene. and that's fine, the problem is that chitanda is just a weak character. no amount of "visual symbolism" undoes that.

look, the direction in the show was really good, definitely one of its high points, and most of the characters were really enjoyable, and for a while the story was pretty good. but having as much reverence as you seem to have for this optimistically 8/10 anime is ridiculous. this thread is so packed with hyperbole. it's fine that you loved this show, but that doesn't make it flawless. it can be a 10/10 for you and an 8/10 for everybody else, all anime fans have shows they feel that way about. the whole anime fanbase and really the medium is about niche appeal, fashioning your product to satiate very specific tastes rather than a general audience. this is why there's no truly unanimously praised anime, because the anime fanbase is so fragmented in its myriad extreme tastes. you could make the case for something like cowboy bebop being widely praised but it will never be unanimously regarded as great by its audience as a film like casablanca can be, no anime ever has been or probably ever will. my point is that it's almost impossible to be a big anime fan without being towards the extreme end of some spectrum of particularities of preference. accept this about yourself and you'll have a better critical mind. i have. what you like and what's good are two separate and not necessarily related things. hyouka struck a very particular chord for you, as it did for a respectably sized chunk of anime fans. that doesn't make it the best anime of all time. it's a consistently really good show, but it's not highly extraordinary.

i guess what i'm saying is that it's fine if you like the show and all, it's just annoying when you try to beat people over the head with it.

PurpleCharger
PurpleCharger

@Gigastrength
is this a pasta?

either way i like the irony

SomethingNew
SomethingNew

@Gigastrength
i wouldn't even call this shit symbolic, it's really beating the viewer over the head with a visual style
That's still symbolism, you fucking idiot.
the problem is that chitanda is just a weak character. no amount of "visual symbolism" undoes that.
The entire scene was about Oreki and how he felt. You finding Chitanda boring has no bearing on that.

Now watch me go off on a tangent that has nothing to do with visual symbolism

Do you think anything you said even approached a solid point? All you did is cry that people like a show you were too stupid to follow on all the levels it told its story.

Bidwell
Bidwell

@Firespawn
Write a short essay in broken English that doesn't make a point
Call the other guy mad when he tells you that you don't have a point

girlDog
girlDog

Honestly, I hate Kyoani's animation post-K-On!. I feel like all that "camerawork" and visual effects are just pushed too much, to the point where I enjoy P.A works visuals way more just because its more subtle.
Just my opinion, of course. Not saying its bad.

@Gigastrength
This post was completely unnecessary yet I completely agree with you.

Emberburn
Emberburn

@girlDog
yet I completely agree with you.
Another retard shows up.

Sir_Gallonhead
Sir_Gallonhead

@girlDog
that's a valid criticism based on personal preference equitably proffered, and as such does not belong in this echochamber thread so please gtfo

askme
askme

@girlDog
PA is way too hit and miss, and unfortunately they're missing right now.
Then again KyoAni is just as inconsistent lately but they're misses are usually okay at worst.

BunnyJinx
BunnyJinx

@Sir_Gallonhead
Trying to be sarcastic
Can't find the shift key
Complaining about muh echochamber
gtfo
Kill yourself.

Fried_Sushi
Fried_Sushi

This is now a smug thread.

CodeBuns
CodeBuns

@girlDog
I was wondering when exactly KyoAni decided to become the instagram of anime studios? Was it Hyouka? I don't really understand why Hyouka is commonly praised for visuals. It's been a while since I watched it but was it just filters and camera effects that differentiated it from other high school anime? There's plenty of better looking anime among TV series, and it's ridiculous to say it's near movie quality--I have to assume anyone saying this watches primarily TV and rarely movies.

Inmate
Inmate

@CodeBuns
I don't really understand why Hyouka is commonly praised for visuals. It's been a while since I watched it but was it just filters and camera effects
What's it like being blind?

TurtleCat
TurtleCat

@Emberburn
The more happy memories they experience together the more painful it will be when they've gotten older and go their separate ways.
That's how the audience felt too, I think.

The more you love K-On, the more it hurts to know it's all over.

BlogWobbles
BlogWobbles

@CodeBuns
I'm not even that big of a Hyouka fag but what do you think is better among TV series?
Also most of the filter stuff started after Hyouka.

happy_sad
happy_sad

@CodeBuns
Hey user name some of those better looking anime TV series. I'd like to watch them.

I have a huge boner for good looking anime.

Snarelure
Snarelure

@farquit
Kana was perfection.

But what episode was that I can't remember.

Crazy_Nice
Crazy_Nice

What are the best looking TV anime of the decade?

RumChicken
RumChicken

@Crazy_Nice
Inferno Cop.

Spamalot
Spamalot

@Crazy_Nice
Penguindrum
Wizard Barristers
Euphonium
K-On!!
Nichijou
Zankyou no Terrabad
Space Dandy

TechHater
TechHater

@BlogWobbles
I don't remember noticing any filters but back then nobody was complaining about KyoAni abusing filters. Maybe with that new awareness it would be noticeable if anyone has watched it recently. It does have a sort of photographic quality for sure.

I don't think these are so much better looking but equal or more effort went into them: Dennou Coil, Nichijou, Yozakura Quartet, most Space Dandy episodes, Gurren Lagann

Boy_vs_Girl
Boy_vs_Girl

@Crazy_Nice
I'm a sucker for KnK's color direction. I'm not saying it's the best looking anime but I like it a lot. Also I like Uchouten Kazoku's backgrounds and the direction as well.

kizzmybutt
kizzmybutt

@TechHater
Yozakura Quartet
I've been wanting to watch this, is Hana no Uta where to start?

AwesomeTucker
AwesomeTucker

@GoogleCat
I liked Hyouka when I first watched it

DeathDog
DeathDog

@kizzmybutt
3 seconds in google

Garbage Can Lid
Garbage Can Lid

@TechHater
but back then nobody was complaining about KyoAni abusing filter
That's because people latch on to buzzwords they don't understand and use them to shitpost, and these words come in waves.

Harmless_Venom
Harmless_Venom

@kizzmybutt
It's sort of tricky because the storyline follows this order: Hana no Uta episodes 1-8, Hoshi no Umi, rest of the episodes 9-13, then Tsuki ni Naku

girlDog
girlDog

Hyouka? zzzzz

Emberburn
Emberburn

I need that fanart of Chitanda and Oreki's daughter, ASAP.

Spazyfool
Spazyfool

@Emberburn
Bing it yourself!

Firespawn
Firespawn

@GoogleCat

welcome to the enlightened club of good taste sir user.

Burnblaze
Burnblaze

@Illusionz

i was so sad when i actually saw the pool in such state of disrepair... ;_;

[spioler]and select image was 'swimming pool'[/spoiler]

RavySnake
RavySnake

@Inmate
I never watched Hibike, but I saw a webm where the girls get all super emotional and almost shed tears from another girl saying something as mundane as
I want to redo the audition please
as if she won a huge as fuck music award. I'm sure it was less silly in context but it made me laugh.

Methshot
Methshot

@RavySnake
After reading you put it that way it makes me think it actually was that silly. It probably didn't occur to me at the time because watching TV rots your brain and I had already spent too much time watching the show.

Sharpcharm
Sharpcharm

@TechHater
For the sake of shitposting, someone had invented new term which is "kyoAni abusing filter".

farquit
farquit

What do you guys think is the chance of us getting anything Hibike related ever again - be it an S2 covering more novels, a movie, or an OVA?

Need_TLC
Need_TLC

@farquit
I'd say theres a fairly high chance. Unlike other shows like Hyouka, there is actually content to adapt and the show did really well.

viagrandad
viagrandad

@Burnblaze
Is it abandoned or just closed for the season?

Deadlyinx
Deadlyinx

@Need_TLC
I hope so. I really fell in love with Hibike in a way that I haven't for a show in a while. As you said, there are more novels to adopt, so it's not pulling anything out of its ass.

That said, Kyoani doesn't have the best track record when it comes to sequel seasons. Look at Chuu2Ren

StrangeWizard
StrangeWizard

@Deadlyinx
Thats a false comparison. Chuunibyou and Chuu2Ren were Kyoani originals more or less. It might have been based on a LN, but even from the first season they completely changed the content.

Assuming they just purely adapt Hibike like S1 they shouldn't have any problems.

Garbage Can Lid
Garbage Can Lid

@StrangeWizard
I'm a girl btw

Soft_member
Soft_member

@StrangeWizard
How was Free's second season? I haven't gotten around to it, but that was based on an actual work too, right?

StonedTime
StonedTime

@Soft_member
I dropped Free. I have no problems with the gay stuff, but I couldn't stand that the characters were all female personalities in male bodies. I always felt like the show would have been better (even to female viewers) if the characters acted more like males.

That being said, Free falls into the Chuu2 camp, its more or less kyoani original.

haveahappyday
haveahappyday

@StonedTime
I have no problems with the gay stuff, but I couldn't stand that the characters were all female personalities in male bodies.

That's actually one of the reasons why I liked the first season, even though I haven't gotten around to S2 yet.

For me, their personalities all just worked, even if they were really feminine. It's not necessarily something I can explain, but that's how I felt about it.

Poker_Star
Poker_Star

@GoogleCat
meh.

I only want more Amagi.

StonedTime
StonedTime

Yeah it was good. But too bad he pussed out at the end.
Time to die alone fag

Booteefool
Booteefool

@Poker_Star
@StonedTime
You're both everything wrong in the world.

kizzmybutt
kizzmybutt

@haveahappyday
Well to each their own. On the topic of S2's from Kyoani, their track record is actually quite good for purely adapted series

- Clannad After Story
- K-ON!!
- Disappearance (Haruhi S2 is more like Haruhi S1.5)

PackManBrainlure
PackManBrainlure

@kizzmybutt
Fair point - those are all good adapted S2s.

Perhaps there's hope for a good Hibike S2 after all

farquit
farquit

@Burnblaze
How was that whole town?

Lunatick
Lunatick

Hyouka is also one of my absolute favourites. I just wish I had enough dough to get the BR-Box. ;_;

Crazy_Nice
Crazy_Nice

@GoogleCat
I think one of the reason's Hyouka is so polarizing is that Oreki is made for typical anon's to self insert. Anon's that typically tell themselves that they're so smart and special and just need a manic pixie dream girl to apply it. And the half that hate hyouka either recognize this and reject it or just don't identify with it.

SniperWish
SniperWish

@Crazy_Nice
muh tropes
>>>/reddit/

Techpill
Techpill

@CouchChiller

Subtle. It's subtle.

Methshot
Methshot

@CouchChiller
and there's no character development or relationships or anything of interest
You don't get to say this if you have not watched the second half with Mayaka and Satoshi getting focus.

FastChef
FastChef

@StonedTime
female personalities
There's no such thing as a female personality.

Supergrass
Supergrass

@BlogWobbles
I can't fucking wait till my moon is good enough to read the novels and follow everything that happens in them.

I have bad news for you. The author.... Pulled a Tanigawa. But his reasons are pretty valid since he is a busy man with many other works.

takes2long
takes2long

It's time

Top 5 KyoAnime:

CouchChiller
CouchChiller

@takes2long
1. Disappearance
2. After Story
3. Love Story
4. Hyouka
5. Euphonium

ZeroReborn
ZeroReborn

@takes2long
H!E > Chuu2 > KnK > Tomato > Chuu2Ren

PackManBrainlure
PackManBrainlure

@takes2long
1. K-On
2. Hyouka
3. Love Story
4. Eupho
5. Nichijou

girlDog
girlDog

@Fuzzy_Logic
I dropped Clannad AS
Well kid, you have some watching to do.

@ZeroReborn
This.

Snarelure
Snarelure

1. Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya
2. Clannad: After Story
3.Amagi Brilliant Park
4.Chuu2 S1 only
5.K-On

Sharpcharm
Sharpcharm

@takes2long
1. Hyouka
2. Nichijou
3. K-on
4. Eupho
5. Tamako

Objectively.

Bidwell
Bidwell

@takes2long
1 keion
2 sora no woto
3 hibikek
4 nichijou
5 haruhi
I think Kyoani's pretty solid, but tomako and hyouka just wasn't for me

TechHater
TechHater

@Bidwell
ayy lmao

Illusionz
Illusionz

Which KyoAni should I watch next?

K-On!, Nichijou, FMP, Clannad,Tamako Market, Amagi, Chunibyo

farquit
farquit

@GoogleCat
why is he such a fucking bitch?

Inmate
Inmate

@takes2long
Haruhi FMP Hyouka Hibike Lucky Star

Deadlyinx
Deadlyinx

@TechHater
they're two completely different titles. the animation is similar, but that's about as far as it goes.
if you stopped fapping off to reddit memes, and actually payed attention to the content, maybe you'd figure something out.

lostmypassword
lostmypassword

@takes2long
K-On!
Disappearance
After Story
Tamako
Chuu2

Lord_Tryzalot
Lord_Tryzalot

@Bidwell
sora no woto
kyoani

BinaryMan
BinaryMan

@StrangeWizard
Hibike was a pretty close adaptation, but they still changed a considerable number of things.

girlDog
girlDog

@Crazy_Nice
If you're watching the show to self insert and tell yourself that you're a smart and special snowflake who's just a bit lazy, then you're objectively watching the show wrong.

Emberburn
Emberburn

@Deadlyinx
If you actually lurked the fuck more that old image was made to as a sarcastic counter to that frequent assumption, knucklehead

MPmaster
MPmaster

@Emberburn
Summer will never end, user.

Flameblow
Flameblow

I finished it the last week, as you say, best Kyoani.

I liked more the Hyouka arc, the pun thing was great and behind it there is a short and very nice love story, the Kanya Festival arc is probably better tho, Chitanda and Ibara were specially cute during the festival.

The final episode is a solid 10/10 although the bridge story is not that good, the final scene left me breathless during a while.

eGremlin
eGremlin

K-On!/!! and Chu2 are the only good shows KyoAni has produced in the past couple of years.

Burnblaze
Burnblaze

@GoogleCat
Sure, if you like eating boring shit.

massdebater
massdebater

@Burnblaze
My favorite post on Sheeky Forums right now tbh

JunkTop
JunkTop

@massdebater
tbh
Stop.

Stark_Naked
Stark_Naked

@takes2long
That's a hard one.

In no set order:

K-On! (!!)
Tamako Market
Hyouka
Nichoujo
Eupho

The next 5 would probably be
Haruhi
Lucky Star
Chuu2
Disappearance
Clannad

w8t4u
w8t4u

@Stark_Naked
Actually, fuck it.

Change Clannad for KnK

AwesomeTucker
AwesomeTucker

@JunkTop
I'm just geting started fam

Gigastrength
Gigastrength

@w8t4u

Change Clannad for KnK

Holy fucking shit taste batman, what are you doing?

BunnyJinx
BunnyJinx

@takes2long
kyoani shows in general are amazing

this is how you know Sheeky Forums is filled with negros

happy_sad
happy_sad

@BunnyJinx
I know, right? Faggots can't appreciate an eric like Sword Art Online.

Need_TLC
Need_TLC

@Gigastrength
I ended up really liking KnK, regardless of its reputation.

Clannad was good, but I ended up liking the VN a lot better than I liked the anime.

Fuzzy_Logic
Fuzzy_Logic

Haruhi S3 2016 with Tanigawa releasing new Haruhi's volume.

Harmless_Venom
Harmless_Venom

@TechHater
I really wish I skipped episode 8 of Soranowoto.

whereismyname
whereismyname

1. Hyouka
2. Haruhi/Disappearance
3. K-On
4. Euphonium
5. Love Story

I haven't watched Air, Free, or Lucky Star. I also can't make it past episode 2 of Nichijou. I've tried four times, can't do it.

lostmypassword
lostmypassword

@whereismyname
I also can't make it past episode 2 of Nichijou
It gets better. Also helps when you stop expecting it to be funny.

SomethingNew
SomethingNew

@lostmypassword
Fifth time could be the charm, I had a few false starts with K-On. Nichijou is just sitting there on my hard drive, I'll probably try it again

idontknow
idontknow

@whereismyname
I haven't watched Air, Free, or Lucky Star. I also can't make it past episode 2 of Nichijou. I've tried four times, can't do it.

haveahappyday
haveahappyday

@GoogleCat
I don't think Hyouka is that good.
The animation is amazing but the plot is really boring.
That's basically like every kyoani show now.

Skullbone
Skullbone

@haveahappyday
That's basically like every kyoani show now.

Eupho
Boring
Free
Boring
Nichijou
Boring

I'll give you Chuu2Ren, but still

Ignoramus
Ignoramus

@haveahappyday
It's not about the plot, m8

Deadlyinx
Deadlyinx

@Skullbone
eupho was pretty boring, all things considered

Fried_Sushi
Fried_Sushi

@Deadlyinx
I totally disagree. It certainly wasn't edge of your seat kinda shit, but I felt that each episode had a nice enough amount of interesting things going on, the drama carried the show well, and I was always waiting for what might come about next.

I'll give someone Hyouka, even if I don't agree, but certainly Hibike wasn't boring.

Nojokur
Nojokur

@Deadlyinx
I watched it for the sax and violins

Playboyize
Playboyize

@Fried_Sushi
Every Euphonium episode felt magical.

Sharpcharm
Sharpcharm

@Playboyize
Absolutely. Maybe it was partially because of the animation and stuff, but every episode really did feel magical.

Fuzzy_Logic
Fuzzy_Logic

next kyoani can't come soon enough

eGremlin
eGremlin

dropped Hyouka
convinced to pick up back up and finish it now

If you cared enough to make that post, then I will finish it. Just for you OP.

Playboyize
Playboyize

@eGremlin
don't, the ending isn't worth it

Evil_kitten
Evil_kitten

It's very good, but I think this is a testament to the fact that Kyoani is overrated. It's not like crazy good.

Methnerd
Methnerd

@Playboyize
Why?

RumChicken
RumChicken

@Methnerd
Don't listen to him. The ending makes sense with the characters, he was just expecting something typical.

Garbage Can Lid
Garbage Can Lid

@GoogleCat

All of the mysteries were fucking boring but when the festival hit and the mundane mysteries fucked off it became damn good

farquit
farquit

@Evil_kitten
nice opinion you've got there, john

Techpill
Techpill

@Fuzzy_Logic
Their next prpjact might be that motorcycle manga, and even though it's Kyoani I'm not entirely looking forward to it.

That might change, though.

viagrandad
viagrandad

@RumChicken
Oh I'm not the user he was responding to. I've seen Hyouka already and found the ending satisfying.

TurtleCat
TurtleCat

@GoogleCat
Hyouka
Shit was boring.

happy_sad
happy_sad

@Techpill
It's confirmed to be myriad colors phantom world.

StrangeWizard
StrangeWizard

@happy_sad
Ishihara

Deadlyinx
Deadlyinx

@StrangeWizard
Ishihara is not the problem, but it's Hanada Jukki.

TalkBomber
TalkBomber

Reminder that Volume 5 of the novels got translated, and you will never see it animated.

PurpleCharger
PurpleCharger

@TalkBomber
Houtarou has nice slender legs.

Playboyize
Playboyize

@TalkBomber
That's OK, Chitanda cucks Hotaro

WebTool
WebTool

@Playboyize
Nice meem.

Harmless_Venom
Harmless_Venom

@Playboyize
tbh that meme is so last season fam.

CodeBuns
CodeBuns

@TalkBomber
What's with the chicken legs?

Raving_Cute
Raving_Cute

@Snarelure
Movie

RumChicken
RumChicken

@CodeBuns
@PurpleCharger
Looking at Houtaro when Chitanda's slim body is right in the center of the image

Need_TLC
Need_TLC

@RumChicken
not looking at the entire picture

How to stop a pleb.

Techpill
Techpill

@CodeBuns
What kind of legs should a skinny person have?

Snarelure
Snarelure

@TalkBomber
D-did anything interesting happen?

@CodeBuns
Most freshmen high school boys don't fucking have a leg day yet, bra.

TechHater
TechHater

chuu2 had jiggle boobs while amagi hadn't.
tfw

Techpill
Techpill

@Fuzzy_Logic
battle harem
They'll find a way nonetheless.

DeathDog
DeathDog

@Snarelure
Oreki got cucked.

whereismyname
whereismyname

For once OP was not a faggot. Hyouka is definitely KyoAni's best work by a considerable margin, and I love most of their other stuff too. Haruhi was great, Hibike was great, Amagi was hilarious, even K-on was really good, but none of it comes anywhere near Hyouka for me. It isn't just the technical quality that makes it, since all of KyoAni's work is extremely quality, but the direction, writing, and overall aesthetic puts it over the top. All the elements, the animation and music and story and character's and themes work together perfectly to build a strong and cohesive aesthetic for the whole series. The mystery writing is actually top-tier and probably the best in anime even if the stakes are low and the scenarios are themselves silly, and the themes about the nature of talent and genius and expectations and Oreki's struggle with a rose-colored vs grey life aren't beat over your head, but they are still there very clearly and even woven into the animation sequences and style. And that school festival arc is actually amazing, the best in anime by far. It is filled with so much atmosphere and life and energy, you feel like you're really there with the characters. That's where KyoAni's skill really shines. Its actually art, this is what anime can and should be when the studio and staff genuinely care about the product and love the artform and the story they are adapting. It helps that the original novel was also fantastic too instead of LN shit for children.

girlDog
girlDog

@whereismyname
even K-On was really good
I don't like the implication here, so I'll stop reading and just call you a faggot.

Need_TLC
Need_TLC

@Deadlyinx
Implying
Eupho wasn't bad and even the drama wasn't overplayed. And isn't he on the boatshit for next year anyways?

RavySnake
RavySnake

@girlDog
The implication is that it was earlier and lacked the technical expertise and style of their newer stuff since they were still developing it, plus it didn't have as much substance as some of the others as a primary comedy and moe work. I still enjoyed it for what it was but I don't regard it as highly.

cum2soon
cum2soon

@RavySnake
Yeah, definitely a faggot.

@Need_TLC
I felt the trumpet solo melodrama was a bit overbearing in Euphonium. Still a great show though, despite its flaws.

Emberburn
Emberburn

@RavySnake
If you're talking about S1, I can see where you're coming from, but S2 was easily on par with Hyouka. Which is "better" is more a question of preference than quality.

Harmless_Venom
Harmless_Venom

@Emberburn
I actually liked S1 more, even if s2 is technically a lot more quality. Don't know why, more just the writing and stories I guess, so yes, I was thinking of mostly S1 because I prefer it. Even then though, it lacks the depth and aesthetic of Hyouka, because it's not meant to be like that, it's just lighthearted fun. Not that Hyouka is particularly deep either but there are more complex themes. I could see someone like K-on more if they prefer that type of thing, but I still don't think its better. In any case It's really a meaningless comparison since they are pretty different and both are around the top of their class for their particular genres.

Stupidasole
Stupidasole

@Harmless_Venom
Was that the pissing one?

PurpleCharger
PurpleCharger

@GoogleCat
I watched the first 5 episodes and dropped it, there isn't a single character or plot-line I care about, animation is nice though.

BinaryMan
BinaryMan

@ZeroReborn
@GoogleCat
I liked'em too anons, no lewd, only true feeling and a great execution.

LOVE Chitanda and Mochi

Techpill
Techpill

@CouchChiller
technically
hibike
Nigga what? Hibike was definitely better animated than most shows to come out this year, but it looks like a dollar store trinket compared to Hyouka's production values. KyoAni went full fucking ham.

@Playboyize
@DeathDog
How did this type of shitposting even start in these threads?

@TalkBomber
Volume 5 of the novels got translated
When the hell did this happen? Last time I checked tit was barely 20% done and we were lucky to get 10 pages every three months. Shit was almost as slow as Love Lab scans. Did someone pick up the legwork for translations?

massdebater
massdebater

@Emberburn
Better than KnK and Amagi
That's not a very hard feat.

GoogleCat
GoogleCat

@ZeroReborn
The only Kyoani show I ever dropped was Amabri, god it was awful.

ZeroReborn
ZeroReborn

@Spamalot
The characters were unlikeable and only consisted of obnoxious steretypes with no depth. I don't expect a deep story from KyoAni shows but it took itself too seriously and still failed miserably in the plot department.
Pretty visuals alone can't save a show from being shit.

MPmaster
MPmaster

@RavySnake
KyoAni did annoying shit girls too.

Fried_Sushi
Fried_Sushi

@GoogleCat
Same.

Illusionz
Illusionz

@RavySnake
who is haruhi

Fuzzy_Logic
Fuzzy_Logic

@Illusionz
God

cum2soon
cum2soon

@Need_TLC
I ended up really liking KnK, regardless of its reputation.
Agreed. This episode was probably my single favorite episode of anime from that calendar year, and the ones after it were all great.

hairygrape
hairygrape

@Methnerd
Because he's an idiot who expects a faithful anime adaptation of an ongoing novel series to completely wrap up every point, instead of just reaching a milestone where it ends.

Nojokur
Nojokur

@Techpill
How did this type of shitposting even start in these threads?
One dedicated shitposter who's been doing this for over a year now.

Dreamworx
Dreamworx

@ZeroReborn
The characters were unlikeable and only consisted of obnoxious steretypes with no depth
Every anime character has a few cliches to them, and the no depth comment is objectively wrong. There was an entire side of Mirai that wasn't revealed to the viewer until like episode 9, and the uniqueness of her and Akki's situations are what caused them to bond. Oniisan had reasons for everything he did and did a lot of "behind the shadows" type stuff, and Mitsuki was always dealing with isolation and loneliness on top of family expectations. The only flat character was Fujimilk, and he's indeed shit.

kizzmybutt
kizzmybutt

@ZeroReborn
You obviously failed to read them. Mirai and Aki both have an untold side of their feelings that you're supposed to make out from the narrative. They don't explain it explicitly, but they hint at it heavily. They both feel like they're monsters who are very dangerous and hated by everyone, and put on custody in order to not harm others. At the beginning of the series, they both thought they were the only ones that have a shitty life like this, but they dealt with it in different ways. Mirai hated herself so she put herself down and turned very submissive, because she felt in debt with Izumi for protecting her from Yui's family. Aki, although he did feel bad about being harmful, mostly hated being treated like a monster and being watched all the time in case he went berserk again. Because of this, they both felt like they were cursed (Mirai did explicitly say so), and continued hating their lives. Around episode 4 is when they realize that the other feels the same as them, and they sympathize with each other because of this. Because of this, they start feeling sorry for each other and wishing a normal life for one another, and this forms a very strong bond between them. If you can't make this out yourself, you're missing a big part of the show. Mirai then acts according to these feelings of pity and sacrifices herself for a possibility of Aki leading a normal life, not a cursed one. This forms an even stronger bond between them, I'm guessing specially on Aki's side out of gratitude. These feelings may have even been the ones responsible for Mirai's resurrection.

Crazy_Nice
Crazy_Nice

@kizzmybutt
Yeah but he likes glasses and she says fuyukai desu so it's obvious that they're one dimensional and shit.

whereismyname
whereismyname

@kizzmybutt
These feelings may have even been the ones responsible for Mirai's resurrection
Is this ever explained in any way? I liked the show, but the ending left a bad taste. I'd rather kyoani just ruin christmas again instead of giving us such a forced happy end.

Snarelure
Snarelure

@whereismyname
Is this ever explained in any way?
Yes. All of the following things were presented in the show
Youmu are created from human emotion
Meat puppet/zombie dolls can be willed into existence
Mirai's soul is in her blood
Her blood went into the KnK
The KnK went into Akki
Akki now has strong emotions and her soul. Akki can create a new Mirai
The new movie is all about her having memory problems because of the nature of her "birth".

Disable your ad blocker to access the content

Disable your ad blocker to access the content