Military Manga/Anime

takes2long
takes2long

Post series that follow the military. I'll start with Gunka no Baltzar.

Just found this yesterday and it's already my favorite. Damn translators can't do anything fast enough.

All urls found in this thread:
https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?category=War%2Fs
https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?category=Military
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zMt58LGwXw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd9hLbvGrWI
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charge_at_Krojanty
http://exhentai.org/g/821018/6b23f4441a/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_II
Poker_Star
Poker_Star

@takes2long
Baltazar is great.
Red eyes is pretty cool too.

Burnblaze
Burnblaze

@takes2long
still in my backlog, looks interesting

AwesomeTucker
AwesomeTucker

@Burnblaze
It's left off at a bit of a cliffhanger though. The scanlators are a bit behind.

Raving_Cute
Raving_Cute

@takes2long
is gundam/mechshit include?

GoogleCat
GoogleCat

@Raving_Cute
Eh, I guess it technically counts. At least if they have ranks.

King_Martha
King_Martha

@AwesomeTucker
More like the biggest cliffhanger so far.

idontknow
idontknow

@King_Martha
That one eyed fucker a double agent or what? I swear he's like been on 5 different sides by now.

Playboyize
Playboyize

@GoogleCat
To be honest, I think he has a grand plan he'll hopefully share with us in the next chapter. Starting the shit on the academy was definitely part of his plan but I can't really figure out what it is. Maybe he's a kid from a country that's been occupied by Weisen or some other Empire and he's trying to break that country apart to free his people? I just hope his story is interesting.

Also, try to read Red Eyes manga, I remember it being pretty good.

Garbage Can Lid
Garbage Can Lid

@Playboyize
Meant for @idontknow
although both are probably OP.
Also, second part isn't spoiler.

girlDog
girlDog

@Playboyize
You know what's going on with the translators? The raws are up to 38, yet they've only got to 32.

takes2long
takes2long

Is there an official english version of that?

Inmate
Inmate

@takes2long
Don't think so. It's not the most popular sadly.

happy_sad
happy_sad

@takes2long
Have we already reached a point where we can look at a random manga and be confident enough to ask if an English/French/etc version exists?

Evil_kitten
Evil_kitten

@girlDog
No idea man. I'm not even sure who does the TLs.

SniperWish
SniperWish

Apparently there's trouble with getting a typesetter or something. Which is weird because can't they just get someone from their other projects to do it? It's not like typesetting is the hardest part of scanlations.

5mileys
5mileys

@Evil_kitten
I think it's EGS: Easy Going Scans.

Techpill
Techpill

@5mileys
At least they're staying true to their name :^)

Sharpcharm
Sharpcharm

Nobody else here?

Methnerd
Methnerd

@AwesomeTucker
The scanlators are a bit behind.
They were always behind. At no point were the scanlators caught up to the raws.

Boy_vs_Girl
Boy_vs_Girl

@Methnerd
Do they get the volumes then translate in bulk? I guess that'd be why they're behind.

Methnerd
Methnerd

@Techpill
That's not really true. When you take a look at how many projects they cover, and how many releases they put out per week, it's quite frightening.

Gunka simply isn't one of their priority series. They are primarily a Korean manhwa/webtoon site, the Japanese series are just kind of side dishes they enjoy.

PackManBrainlure
PackManBrainlure

@Boy_vs_Girl
Don't know if they buy tanks or wait for it, however they have never even come close to my knowledge. Vol 5 was out over a year ago.

Gunka is a monthly after all, it takes ages for a volume to pop out. There's no real rush for EGS to bother with it when they have stuff like Jin which has like 10+ volumes and is a finished series left hanging.

Those guys just do whatever they want whenever they want, they just happen to do it frequently enough that people get false hope in steady releases.

LuckyDusty
LuckyDusty

@Methnerd
Easy Going Scans
Easy Going

VisualMaster
VisualMaster

@takes2long
Most of Motofumi Kobayashi's works deal with the military.

SniperWish
SniperWish

@VisualMaster
Bear with an AK

Immediately picked up.

StonedTime
StonedTime

@SniperWish
Good luck with finding a translator who gives enough of a shit to pick it up. Only the first Cat Shit One was ever translated, to my knowledge.

Sir_Gallonhead
Sir_Gallonhead

@StonedTime
Fuck. Why are so many good series dropped? I really should learn to read moon.

LuckyDusty
LuckyDusty

@LuckyDusty
I know it was a joke. I was pointing out how ironic it is that they are the opposite of it compared to most scanlator groups.

girlDog
girlDog

@LuckyDusty
It's cool. It just didn't sound that way.

Evil_kitten
Evil_kitten

just wake up and to lazy to post image but
Koukoku no Shugosha

Gigastrength
Gigastrength

Yukikaze is about a special air force but you need to watch the anime before reading the manga, and it's also better to read the first two novels before watching the anime.

Firespawn
Firespawn

@Evil_kitten
Koukoku no Shugosha
This. Do they got axed, though? It's a shame the series has to be ended in cliffhanger before the invasion of mainland.

Also, as several already mentioned, Red Eyes has good action and tactical combat although it's a bit repititive.

Shoukoku no Altair is pic related. The art might not be as pretty or clean as Gunka no Baltzer but this manga offers wide range of both military and political manuevers. Pretty nice story with medieval turkey settings.

Ad Astra -Scipio to Hannibal- is a new manga featuring Hannibal efforts to conquer Holy Roman Empire. It's still at early stages but Hannibal way to poke at Roman's might is amusing.

There's Drifters made by same mangaka as Hellsing. Pretty refreshing to see historical figures got caught in time slip and fighting each other, it's also light hearted.

Vinland Saga is for pure action and savage war. The settings is Viking invasion to British islands.

Maybe I will post more.

Lunatick
Lunatick

Imperial Guards, complete with sabretooth tigers. It was surprisingly good, unfortunately it doesn't cover much of the novels it seems.

AwesomeTucker
AwesomeTucker

I forgot Historie. An adventure of young man to slowly become strategist and adviser of the greatest military commander on earth, Alexander the Great. It's pretty detailed in explaining daily lives of people and military units in that era.

@Lunatick
Did it finish already?

Carnalpleasure
Carnalpleasure

@AwesomeTucker
The translation was done a few months ago, if that's what you're asking.

PurpleCharger
PurpleCharger

@Carnalpleasure
I meant is that the last chapter from Japan, will they ever continue it again?

I didn't even aware it was adapted from novel. How much the manga cover?

whereismyname
whereismyname

I'm loving the thread, guys. Keep it up.

Sir_Gallonhead
Sir_Gallonhead

For anime, I don't know much aside from mecha/gundam. But if you like mecha, watch Code Geass, there's reason why it was so popular in Japan and Sheeky Forums, it's trainwreck. For gundam, I personally like Gundam 00.

Girls und Panzer maybe the one you'd like for WW2 tank warfare plus cute girls though. Don't worry, they conduct serious military tactics although it's for school tournament.

Arslan Senki is quite good. New anime continuing from last season, made by Hiromu Arakawa the creator of Full Metal Alchemist although it's adapted from novel long ago. Persian settings, fighting the invasion of holy crusader(not stated but it's clearly based on that).

What else, I don't know much that good anime with warfare. Many are bad though. I also want to know several manga/anime warfare with 19th centuries setting if you guys know one.

BlogWobbles
BlogWobbles

@Firespawn
Hannibal efforts to conquere the holy Roman empire
holy Roman empire
Breh, smh tbh fam

iluvmen
iluvmen

@AwesomeTucker
Historie is pretty good.
@takes2long
Try Kingdom, you might like it.
Picture is random page from a random chapter.
It's about the warring states period in china.

idontknow
idontknow

This military thing looks gay.

Burnblaze
Burnblaze

@PurpleCharger
I'm pretty sure. The manga ended quite a while ago.

It covered only a few of the currently 9(?) novels. And I don't think the novels are done either. The end of the manga was a mildly annoying cliffhanger. At least they finished the arc though.

Techpill
Techpill

@BlogWobbles
I'm pretty ignorant and confused about Roman Empire evolution as a country. Was it still republic when they faced Hannibal?

@Burnblaze
So the novel is still ongoing? No hope for translation as always though. Hopefully they continue to make the manga.

5mileys
5mileys

@takes2long
Break Blade is great.

Inmate
Inmate

@iluvmen
Nice, I've been pretty hearing about this. I'll give it a try.
Is it about the same era of 3 kingdoms? I am also still reading Ravages of Time for that era.

SniperGod
SniperGod

@idontknow
military
it's gay
No shit, Sherlock.

whereismyname
whereismyname

The lack of military tags on anime and manga is frustrating to find it.

cum2soon
cum2soon

@Techpill
Holy Roman Empire was a confederation of sorts during the middle ages. Maybe you heard of the First Reich or Friedrich Barbarossa?

Skullbone
Skullbone

@Techpill
I'm actually not sure if it's ongoing, looking again I think it's probably done, but there must be some recent reprints or something.

Spamalot
Spamalot

@whereismyname
The ones of Mangaupdates aren't bad. The ones with war and military have like Alexandros, Genghis Khan, Hereuka, Bokko and I'm sure a bunch of other stuff I've read.

Methnerd
Methnerd

Wish people picked up Hayami Rasenjin's stuff again.

TechHater
TechHater

@Spamalot
There's no military tags though. How do you find the war and military themed manga on that website?

King_Martha
King_Martha

@TechHater
Are you fucking blind?

TalkBomber
TalkBomber

@TechHater
https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?category=War%2Fs
https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?category=Military
For the incompetent soul.

Fuzzy_Logic
Fuzzy_Logic

@King_Martha
@TalkBomber
Welp, I was looking at genres section and couldn't find it. Thanks, I'll use it.

RavySnake
RavySnake

@takes2long
Half of the historical genre can be posted here.

Sir_Gallonhead
Sir_Gallonhead

@Poker_Star
Baltazar loses points because the mangaka can't remember what century his war is taking place in.

TerraFormars has the same problem in the last few chapters. Except for the microwave aircraft, why is the Earth military using tech from almost 600 years in the past?

Burnblaze
Burnblaze

@Sir_Gallonhead
Baltazar loses points because the mangaka can't remember what century his war is taking place in.
Is there a misplaced things that's different from the era the manga supposed to take place?

eGremlin
eGremlin

@Burnblaze
I mostly mean the cavalry arc. Even if the lancers had a numerical advantage, they should have had no chance at all against infantry armed with bolt-action rifles with a range of 1000 yards.

w8t4u
w8t4u

@takes2long
Dammit I got my hopes up for an update.

takes2long
takes2long

@takes2long
Imperial Guards was sorta fun, too bad they only adapted such a small chunk of the novels.

Skullbone
Skullbone

Verdant lord features the military if that counts. I'm glad that the translation group decided to actually release this regularly since for a good couple of years there was nothing but the first few chapters.

idontknow
idontknow

@Inmate
7 Warring States period Qin/Han Unification. The story is primartirly regarding the unification itself.

Supergrass
Supergrass

My favorite

iluvmen
iluvmen

anyone know that one manga where the nip goes to the middle east to become a tactician, and has all the wargames and shit going on? Forgot the title, been looking for it for a long time

Stupidasole
Stupidasole

@iluvmen
I do, it's serialized in Afternoon.

King_Martha
King_Martha

@iluvmen
Marginal Operation?

askme
askme

Area 88 was one of the first manga translated and released in the West by Viz, back in the 80's. Its about a mercenary air force fighting in a fictional Middle Eastern kingdom. Last I heard, there was translation threads on /m/ trying to finish the series.

likme
likme

@eGremlin
Isn't that rifle still need to be reloaded by putting the gunpowder first? I'm not sure if the new rifle made from Balzer country(forgot the name) has specific range to be effectively hitting enemy.

BinaryMan
BinaryMan

Konbini DMZ is pretty for for military comedy.

AwesomeTucker
AwesomeTucker

@likme
Pretty sure they were using normal center fire bolt action rifles.

Fuzzy_Logic
Fuzzy_Logic

@eGremlin
not paying attention to the fact that the bolt-action rifles only had an effective range of 450 yards
not paying attention to the fact that Basselland effectively hasn't even changed over from muskets to bolt-action rifles for 6 months yet

Your specifically detailed complaint is absolutely worthless.

Soft_member
Soft_member

@Supergrass
It was a good series. Probably one of the best I've managed this year, although I've had less free time. I'm surprised there's already this many people here who read it.

kizzmybutt
kizzmybutt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zMt58LGwXw

BlogWobbles
BlogWobbles

@AwesomeTucker
Is bolt action rifles from 19th centuries has standardized effective range? The ones from prince's army in early chapters looks like the inferior ones.

likme
likme

@Soft_member
It was quite tactical manga and describe the situation on battlefield quite realistic, except the magical beings though. Shame there are few that good like that.

Gigastrength
Gigastrength

@Soft_member
It was quite frustrating because the first chapter was translated 5 years ago, and then it was left untouched until last year. Finally the whole thing was translated in less than 6-8 months, it was a happy thing.

Firespawn
Firespawn

@BlogWobbles
That depends on the type of cartridge used, not so much on the rifle itself.

Stupidasole
Stupidasole

@BlogWobbles
Those were muskets. And before you guys go /k/ on us, realize that Gunka is a fictional alternate world, not actual historical based. It's no different than Altair where parts of history are twisted greatly so don't get your panties in a bunch over things not matching up with wikipedia entries.

TalkBomber
TalkBomber

@Stupidasole
I'm pretty sure they were using bolt action rifles though.

Inmate
Inmate

@Sir_Gallonhead
drifting a Pz 4 is now considered serious military tactics
ok

Sharpcharm
Sharpcharm

@Firespawn
But there's no cartridge in Baltzar timeline. So yeah, I'm assuming they are early rifle or improved muskets so they still have no chance from cavalry army running down on them when you need to reload by putting the gunpowder first separately from the bullet.

@Stupidasole
I know, it just the settings are similar in our 19th centuries. We just checking the accuracy of the weapons portrayed by the mangaka here and how well they fare against cavalry units.

Firespawn
Firespawn

@TalkBomber
That's Weissen and they help Basselland develop the technology as well as sell them.

You're most likely talking about

1. The opening scene of chapter 1 which is Weissen who is technologically advanced compared to the stix known as Basselland

2. The chapter where Baltzar is given bolt action rifles to prove his theory, which were obviously supplied by his home country to fight off against a platoon of musket wielding idiots going Napolean on his ass.

You just have to read it again and pay attention, it's not like the series isn't fun.

Snarelure
Snarelure

@askme
Elemhunter was scanning part of that right? Is there much else /m/ is working on, cause I don't venture there often. They do seem well informed, for the most part, although occasionally quite bitter about some things.

Carnalpleasure
Carnalpleasure

@Inmate
kek, I meant they do proper tank battle not just cute girls doing cute things so it can still be called military anime. I don't even remember if they actually did proper tactical plan.

eGremlin
eGremlin

@Carnalpleasure
They're not in a military, nor is the show about the military. Its a sports anime.

Spazyfool
Spazyfool

@Firespawn
Does the bolt action rifle made by Weiben using cartridge?

Lord_Tryzalot
Lord_Tryzalot

@Sharpcharm
The accuracy is 450m max, with 400m being more optimal. However that is only in the case of a trained soldier. Basselland elites may have the balls, but not the skills. On the other hand, the Weissen army might have the skills, but they were already pissing their pants and some were even deserting and were a complete mess.

All that factors into how well they shoot.

Evil_kitten
Evil_kitten

@eGremlin
I guess so, but they're using tank as sport. Can it still be called military anime even if they're using it for fun?

Deadlyinx
Deadlyinx

@Spazyfool
bolt actions by definition have to use a cartridge.

Emberfire
Emberfire

@Spazyfool
Yeah they do I think, can't be sure.

BunnyJinx
BunnyJinx

@Deadlyinx
But do they use it in Gunka no Baltzar? I don't remember seeing it actually. I always thought they reload it the way people reload musket.

Supergrass
Supergrass

@Evil_kitten
No. The main characters are not in a military, nor are they involved in anything to do with the military, barring the JSDF girl side character.

Methshot
Methshot

@Supergrass
Yeah, wargame might not be military in real sense just military-themed because of the equipment they used.

Fuzzy_Logic
Fuzzy_Logic

There's a lot of historical-type military (comparatively) but is there any reasonably futuristic ones? Most of the things I can think of are too-far-gone post-apocalyptic territory.

Need_TLC
Need_TLC

Anyone here following Heavy Object?

Flameblow
Flameblow

@Fuzzy_Logic
Yukikaze?

BlogWobbles
BlogWobbles

@Need_TLC
Isn't that a LN?

Crazy_Nice
Crazy_Nice

@BunnyJinx
No they most definitely did not reload the way they did with muskets. You might be remembering wrong because during the riot the industrial development of bolt action rifles hasn't been finished, in fact that's the reason there was a riot in the first place cause the craftsmen didn't wanna get stream lined and lose their jobs.

So they were given bolt action rifles by eye patch and fought the students who only had muskets. That's probably where you keep getting mixed up.

Honestly, just read it again. If for nothing else other than the snazzy uniforms.

TalkBomber
TalkBomber

@Crazy_Nice
So when they faced the cavalry, were they equipped by bolt action rifles? If that's the case they could've deal with them better because 400m should be enough since they have cartridge without relying on Gatling gun. Or is this the inconsistency the early poster talked about?

Illusionz
Illusionz

@Fuzzy_Logic
You mean like mecha? There are lots of them not featured in post-apocalyptic settings.

iluvmen
iluvmen

@TalkBomber
I doubt they would be operating at top condition, those men were on the run, lack supplies, used up their ammo facing the earlier charges and saw their ally garrison got wiped out.

Firespawn
Firespawn

@BlogWobbles
Yeah, based on LN it seems. It's scheduled to have anime this year. Had several manga version but not sure about the translation.

TurtleCat
TurtleCat

@Illusionz
No, why not just a regular future military? Space Marines and shit, not every future needs to include mechs

BinaryMan
BinaryMan

@eGremlin
It's late 19th century ish.
also 1914~ Cavalry Vs machine guns

I was going to use 1939 Polish cavalry vs tanks, but decided to source it and found it was just a myth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd9hLbvGrWI
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charge_at_Krojanty

Fried_Sushi
Fried_Sushi

@Illusionz
I don't know. I'm not a huge fan of mecha, I would've thought more regular autonomy, space or other-planetary land conquests. No one really takes cyber-war seriously either.

w8t4u
w8t4u

@TurtleCat
Honestly I can't think of any future military anime/manga that doesn't feature mechs in some form. FLAG was pretty good, their mechs were more like one man armored cars with arms.

WebTool
WebTool

@TurtleCat
@Fried_Sushi
Red Eyes is for you then. It's not unrealistic combat-wise, but it's still pretty badass and good political and military maneuvers.

Methnerd
Methnerd

If you haven't read Miyazaki's Otto Carius manga, do so NOW.

Evilember
Evilember

@iluvmen
I guess that's right. And I don't even remember when the Weiben's soldier deserting, it's hard to remember the detail when the manga is monthly. I really should re-read it again.

lostmypassword
lostmypassword

@Methnerd
Is this completed, are all chapters translated?

Burnblaze
Burnblaze

@lostmypassword
Yes.

BlogWobbles
BlogWobbles

@lostmypassword
Yes.

iluvmen
iluvmen

@Methnerd
Any plans for some other historical mango after you finish Sangokushi ?

Snarelure
Snarelure

@Methnerd
Is that some pork love?

eGremlin
eGremlin

@TalkBomber
They were outnumbered and they chose to make two squares cause they couldn't organize one giant square due to having two different groups of soldiers. So only 1/4th of their soldiers were shooting all the cavalry running straight at them in the beginning, and 2/4 started shooting the side ends once they were much closer.

This is because if they didn't go square, then the cavalry just has to attack them from the side or go around and hit them from the back. However the big problem is that the moment they first clashed the Weissen square completely broke apart because like I said they were pussies. In contrast the skill-less but big balls Basselland elites could have finished off the cavalry if they had double their numbers, but they didn't and were forced to cover for the Weissen army and the Prince.

At no point does the cavalry look super impressive, it was merely through overwhelming force that they managed to pull it off alongside the fact that Baltzar's group wasn't allowed time to create their own battlefield which is the basics in guns vs cavalry due to reinforcements to the cavalry being a risk.

If they were more skilled and trained and less of pansies, they could have employed better formations that change on the fly to maximize firing angles and shit, but like I said all the stars aligned for Baltzar's group to get raped. It's kind of a running gimmick that despite Baltzar being extremely competent he keeps getting dealt super shit hands.

Harmless_Venom
Harmless_Venom

@iluvmen
Yes, lots. Yasuhiko's Emperor Nero manga is probably the first one I'll do as it's short.

takes2long
takes2long

There's also Kurogane Puka Puka tai. Its about a Japanese merchant raider in the Indian Ocean. Its very comedy oriented however, not super grim.

lostmypassword
lostmypassword

Black Knight Story

Has a good one shot at the end set in the Cold War that deserves its own manga

Lord_Tryzalot
Lord_Tryzalot

@Harmless_Venom
Nice.

Emberfire
Emberfire

@lostmypassword
Kobayashi needs more love.

Flameblow
Flameblow

@w8t4u
I think that's a real shame. In terms of actual viability, I really don't see mechs being that important.

VisualMaster
VisualMaster

@eGremlin
Now I'm starting to read it again, from 1st chapter though. Isn't the cavalry units still regarded as most valiant and deadly forces though?

If bolt action rifle is already used regularly at that time, wouldn't the cavalry popularity and usage should be already faded and ineffective?
Or is this due to the mangaka's inconsistent.

whereismyname
whereismyname

@Flameblow
Obviously, they're not very practical when tanks and air vehicles exist.

Gigastrength
Gigastrength

@takes2long
Best Yuri

massdebater
massdebater

BY REVIVING THE BIKES OF THE MIDDLE AGES AND REVIVING THE TRADITION OF DRIVING I'VE NOW BECOME UNSTOPPABLE

Sharpcharm
Sharpcharm

@VisualMaster
If you keep reading you'll know, there's absolutely no consistency.

But here I'll spoil it for you if you can't wait the retards who glorify cavalry are the viking nation of retards who in the last war got literally ass raped by Weissen and the only reason their cavalry is hot shit is because their captain is god-tier at cherry picking and hunting down weaker prey aka outnumbering them 3+ to 1 and cornering them with the help of multiple battalions versus 2 ragtag companies. Weissen and Erzreich the two powerhouse nations all use bolt action rifles as the standard, meanwhile Basselland is so fucking retarded in the first chapter they still use muskets. Muskets so shit they aren't even accurate at 100m and only Balzar and the sharp shooter kid can even hit a stationary target. This is because Basselland was spared in the last war and had over 50 years of peace and treats war like a joke.

Supergrass
Supergrass

@VisualMaster
But user, the manga makes it clear that the end of cavalry units is fast approaching, just like in the real 19th century. Major powers fielded cavalry even beyond the point this manga is referencing (Germany pre-NGC).

Spazyfool
Spazyfool

@Sharpcharm
absolutely no inconsistency* fuck it's late

TechHater
TechHater

@Sharpcharm
viking
They looked extremely british to me though.

VisualMaster
VisualMaster

@TechHater
Their clothes were British, however notice how every one of them besides the captain and the lieutenant had a ridiculously bushy beard that you could practically make dreadlocks out of.

TalkBomber
TalkBomber

@VisualMaster
Fair enough, but wasn't Holbeck said to have very strong navy, like Britain?

askme
askme

@Supergrass
That's right. I remember Baltzar's thesis is about the end of cavalry which got criticized and called delusioned by officers, weren't they? Which means the cavalry is actually still pretty popular and used as main force in this period of time.

Of course by introduction of automatized ranged weapons like gatling gun, cavalry units will be obsolete from now. But it is not yet regarded as ineffective now even if bolt action rifle is introduced.

My point is, how powerful are the bolt action rifle in this manga, is it quite different than in our own history? If it's similar to our own rifle in terms of reload time and accuracy, the cavalry units should be already lost its trend by the rifle's effectiveness by now.

@Sharpcharm
Thanks for this. I'm not sure if they explained that the captain has detailed action in his warfare by cherry piking and outnumbering enemy though. Does Weiben still have cavalry units though?

PackManBrainlure
PackManBrainlure

@TalkBomber
Correct, however geographically they were like near Denmark or some shit. So it's like a complete mix cause I don't recall there being an island nation on the maps shown cause it doesn't go west enough.

Then again, the only other navy we've seen is Weissen's, and it's a complete joke.

Ignoramus
Ignoramus

@TalkBomber
I assumed that it was because compared to German states at the time anybody capable of floating more than two life rafts had a strong navy.

5mileys
5mileys

@PackManBrainlure
True, there's no reason for a country to be 100% based off a particular real country.
Just like, say, Gallia in VC is geographically something like Estonia but is more like Switzerland in nature.

takes2long
takes2long

Will Jurgen ever win the Helmutbowl?

Methshot
Methshot

@askme
Rifle technology changed so dramatically over the 19th century that it's difficult to make any kind of judgement on how good they ought to be in this setting. Having an effecive range of only 400ish meters implies they aren't super advanced yet.

StonedTime
StonedTime

@askme
I'm not sure if they explained that the captain has detailed action in his warfare by cherry piking and outnumbering enemy though.

They explained he's very good at pursuit and he figures out the real tracks from the fake, which means he's good at running people down with their backs shown to him.

Spazyfool
Spazyfool

@takes2long
Never, Helmut already belongs to Baltzar.

Soft_member
Soft_member

@takes2long
@Spazyfool
implying Marcel won't win all the bowls

Gigastrength
Gigastrength

@5mileys
I wish VC series kept continuing. On PC. Or maybe make a Gunka series based off the VC gameplay style, since if you make it on the PC your limitations are almost nothing and your AI/maps won't be limited to really basic shit.

TalkBomber
TalkBomber

Will the journalist girl ever come back? She's hella cute.

AwesomeTucker
AwesomeTucker

@Soft_member
I think him and fatty are the only ones who haven't expressed a remote interest in the opposite sex yet. He's hardcore /k/ at this point.

RavySnake
RavySnake

The sheer amount of love and passion the author puts into Baltzer is astounding.

Lord_Tryzalot
Lord_Tryzalot

@RavySnake
Dieter is practically Ernesti after all. I can see it happening.

TurtleCat
TurtleCat

@RavySnake
As expected of a high-level fujo.

Fried_Sushi
Fried_Sushi

@Supergrass
i remember seeing it some time ago in old threads, what was it name again? google gives nothing

Crazy_Nice
Crazy_Nice

@TurtleCat
Wait, the author is female?

Snarelure
Snarelure

@Fried_Sushi
Judging by someone having brought up sabre-toothed tigers earlier in the thread this is Koukoku no Shugosha.

eGremlin
eGremlin

@Crazy_Nice
he doesn't know about the porn

Playboyize
Playboyize

@eGremlin
Tell me more about it, kamerad.

whereismyname
whereismyname

@Playboyize
http://exhentai.org/g/821018/6b23f4441a/

BinaryMan
BinaryMan

@takes2long
machine guns destroy everything
great powers solve nothing
It's like I'm reading Vicky 2: The Manga

w8t4u
w8t4u

Translated
never

New_Cliche
New_Cliche

@takes2long
Sora no Woto, technically.

BunnyJinx
BunnyJinx

@BinaryMan
Reading what again?

iluvmen
iluvmen

@Emberfire

Oh my God... is that the Falklands War?

Why the hell is this not translated yet? Fuck my life...

Inmate
Inmate

@Techpill
Rom was a republic. It then became an empire under Augustus, the nephew of Caesar. Then it became so big and unwieldy, it was split in two for easier administration (the western one, and the eastern one), having two emperors and such. Then, the western half of the Roman empire got later trounced by foreign powers, civil wars, and barbarian invasions, and only the eastern half remained, which renamed itself the Byzantine empire. Then, medieval Germans got a hard-on for Rom's history and culture, so they decided to revive the western half, considering themselves the legitimate successors of the old (western) Roman Empire, naming their neo-West Roman Empire the Holy Roman Empire (of German Nations). Byzanthium later got conquered by the Ottomans, and the Holy Roman Empire (of German Nations) was dissolved after Napoleon convinced a bunch of cites along the Rhine to form their own confederacy which did not need no Roman/German Emperor, and everyone kinda knew that the Holy Roman Empire was way too big and unwieldy anyway.

There's of course lots more details and stuff, but that's kinda it.

tl;dr: Holy Roman Empire is the name for the German Empire in the medieval ages.

BunnyJinx
BunnyJinx

@w8t4u
Where is this from?

@TurtleCat
Is this from Yugo the negosiator?

Lunatick
Lunatick

@Inmate
You're probably aware of this, but it wasn't the Eastern half which renamed itself as the Byzantine empire as your post seems to state. It's a foreign term used to distinguish the medieval Roman empire from the classical one. Just saying in case people get the wrong idea.

FastChef
FastChef

@Lunatick
True, true. That was a mistake on my part. Thanks for the correction.

Fuzzy_Logic
Fuzzy_Logic

@BunnyJinx
Where is this from?
Raid on Tokyo or Tokyo Wars

farquit
farquit

@BunnyJinx
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_II

whereismyname
whereismyname

Just started wathing this (without watching any other Votoms before). And i have to say it's pretty badass.
And as people say it's Metal Gear anime

Methshot
Methshot

@iluvmen
Kingdom
CHARIOTS

Motherfucking CHARIOTS.

iluvmen
iluvmen

front mission nigga
tfw sea and oceania will never be united and kick ass of north amerikaners

WebTool
WebTool

@takes2long
Marine Corps Yumi is great.

Shame about the cancer

girlDog
girlDog

@takes2long
Onward Toward Our Noble Deaths is pretty good. It's ugly, like war tends to be.

Dreamworx
Dreamworx

@WebTool
The cancer turned vicious in the past month and removed my ability to rebuild muscle. I am slowly deteriorating. Currently, I can’t stand up but can walk and go to the bathroom with nurse’s help. I will eventually lose all body function, so the doctors are trying to slow the downhill degradation. I am doing what I can while I can. I will fight this to my last breath!

jesus christ

Bidwell
Bidwell

@Methnerd
Haven't you read their website? One project doesn't hinder the other because they have different staff. They started translating Zetsuen no Tempest years before the anime was announced and they still have volumes 9 and 10 left to do.

King_Martha
King_Martha

@girlDog
Would love to see more of Mizuki's other historical works translated.

Emberfire
Emberfire

@Dreamworx
Oh fuck, this is ZnT all over again.

Firespawn
Firespawn

@Dreamworx
Jesus christ. Sometimes I wonder if when people spell out these conditions, they should elaborate less.

Methnerd
Methnerd

@Firespawn
Eh, some people prefer to tell others. I think it might make them feel less alone.

Nude_Bikergirl
Nude_Bikergirl

@Snarelure
/m/an here to answer your question. Months ago someone make some threats to post missing chapter of the Viz release, chapter 30 onwards, but soon he stopped and we never heard about him again.

likme
likme

@Nude_Bikergirl
Oh yeah, on a side note, an user back in /m/ managed to get a script containing Japanese subs of the Future War 198X movie and now he need an translator to make proper english subs.

So, if someone here is interested or know someone who can help, go there and talk to him.

/m/thread/13115890#p13115890

farquit
farquit

Any manga about the Napoleonic era?

Poker_Star
Poker_Star

@farquit
Yes, but none that are translated.

SomethingNew
SomethingNew

@farquit
There's one by the Hokuto no Ken guy, no one translated it though.

TechHater
TechHater

@SomethingNew
It's actually different guy but the artstyle is influenced by him.

Boy_vs_Girl
Boy_vs_Girl

@TechHater
The more the merrier, lord knows Hara is a miracle of the universe.

happy_sad
happy_sad

@WebTool
not unrealistic combat-wise

They literally dodge bullets at close range and deflect them with handguns.

Nojokur
Nojokur

no-ones posted Jigoku no Alice yet

Desert Punk: Edgy the Hedgyhog Edition

AwesomeTucker
AwesomeTucker

@happy_sad
Just the super humans. Everyone else dies like flies.

Skullbone
Skullbone

any manga about World War III?

girlDog
girlDog

@Skullbone
someone?
pls no ded thread

Disable your ad blocker to access the content

Disable your ad blocker to access the content